72-73 versus 75-76 34mm fork tubes

chopit25

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
What is the difference between the 72-73 34mm fork tubes and yhe 75-76 34mm fork tubes that mikesxs sells?

Posted via Mobile

He's close, the 72 tubes are are tapered at the top, the cap holds them into the tapered top triple holes. 73 and later tubes are straight at the top and held in the top triple by pinch bolts.
There may may be some early 73's that still have the taper on the tubes but I have not seen one yet.

The ones I have don't seem to be tapered. They seem to be straight because I pushed them up through the trippels ten inches with no issues and no noticable taper at all. The tripples just have the standard single bolt the squeezes them when tightend down. Are the lowers the same for both style tubes? Cause if so then I will just get the 75-76 tubes and be done with it.

Posted via Mobile

I believe you need his 74-76 style then.The Factory Yamaha parts diagrams are wrong about what fork was used on the 73's, AFAIK they use the same fork tube and top triple as the 74-76, the lower triple is only part that was different. (frame neck got 1/2" longer in 74)
If you do this please let us know how it goes. It helps to have positive data point that they fit. So is your bike a 73? It may or may not still have the factory front end parts, LOL.

Well that is true it could be different from stock. I checked and they measure 34mm with no taper at all from the lowers to the very top. The tubes center to center are 7.5" apart. The frame neck is 7" long. The correct stance is 22" from center of axle to bottom of neck. I am not sure what else I can measure or look at to find out what tubes I should get?

Posted via Mobile

Cal your 72 has tapered tube tops, right?

I'm not 100% sure yet.

I stumbled across this thread last night in the middle of the night. So I went out and put the mic on mine. They seemed to be straight. But they were covered with fork oil and crud.

I'll clean them up tonight and get a good measurement.

One thing I did notice. The 72 XS2 and 73 TX650 Has no pinch bolt on the top triple. The 73 TX650 uses a pinch bolt. I don't know if that means anything or not.

I'll post back some measurement's tonight.

Cal I bought the 74 non taper from mikesxs. I actually got a used set also for the lowers and innards to make sure I had it all. Seemed to work out great.

Cal I bought the 74 non taper from mikesxs. I actually got a used set also for the lowers and innards to make sure I had it all. Seemed to work out great.

Does your top triple clamp use pinch bolt's. Or does it have a stop in it.

I should add that the PO modified this bike back in the seventies so they could have used anything. It was a headache trying to guess what was done or used on a few different things so far.

Cal your 72 has tapered tube tops, right?

Gary. I don't believe my 72's are tapered. Each top and bottom of the tube seemed to fit the same in each clamp. Here are some measurement's from 3 tube's.

TOP: ......... 33.86,,,,,,33.84,,,,,,33.99

MIDDLE: ......33.96,,,,,,33.94,,,,,,33.94

BOTTOM: ....33.93,,,,,,33.90,,,,,,33.75

I think these number's just show variance's in the tube's/chrome. What ever you want to call it.

Do you agree??

WOW I screwed up big time I went out and removed a fork tube to
SHOW you the taper and uh they aren't, :er: the cap nut holds the tube against the triple but no taper. Could have knocked me over with a feather.

It doesn't help that all the online parts diagrams I checked have the wrong part number for those tubes, the number shown is for a master cylinder kit.

72 tubes triple 007.jpg

10 1A0-W0041-00-00 CYLINDER KIT, MASTER

Back