72 cam chain tensioner plunger length? - B style tensioner

Doode

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all who have posted and responded to cam tensioner. They were helpful, but I wasn't able to locate info on this.

Without the spring and copper/brass/rubber washer, how long will the tensioner rod protrude past the adjusting bolt?
See my image. The rod is nearly flush without the guts. My brass washer is thick.

Full story
I picked up a 72/73 X2 XS650 recently. It had a fresh top end from a shop. Unfortunately it has a base and possible head gasket weep. I've tried retorquing the studs and will see if that helps.
Regardless, there is a loud clanging (similar to piston slap) when running. It's not valve noise and I am investigating if it's cam chain related.
It has a B style tensioner and seems no matter how tight it still clangs. I know this differs from the subject of the thread, really all I'm interested in is the plunger distance. I may tear down and inspect in a few months.
Thanks

Attachments

• 3DDF3E54-9F0B-4F47-A3F3-DB1BC20086C9.jpeg
    3DDF3E54-9F0B-4F47-A3F3-DB1BC20086C9.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 174
That brass damper washer you found on yours was added by someone and isn't stock. According to the parts diagrams, there is no damper washer used on the type B assembly. A damper washer didn't come into use until the type C assembly in 1974. So, it appears your plunger length is correct. It should come out about flush with the end of the adjusting bolt with nothing on it. If you put a damper washer on it, it won't come out flush to the end of the adjuster bolt anymore and setting the chain tension will be difficult.

Most of us set our cam chain tension as the motor idles. We set the adjuster so the plunger is about flush with it's end and make sure the plunger has a small amount of in-out motion. If it doesn't move, the setting is too tight. If you add a damper washer, the end of your plunger will be inset into the adjuster bolt and you're not going to be able to observe it for the needed in-out motion very easily.

Thanks for confirming!
Removed that part and reset tension and still have clanging, the adjustment didn't seem to make a difference. I'll see if it quiets when warm. If so, maybe it is piston slap.
If not, maybe the cam chain system was assembled incorrectly. Only one way to tell, I suppose.

Mine has a little clatter and it's been re-bored, new guides, tensioner, chain, valves and adjusters, my other xs650's have been the same, a little clatter going on but never any running problems.

Good to know. Maybe I will leave it as is. Took it for a short trip and still has the clang, most noticeable on the left than the right.
Other than that it seems to drive okay, just has the weepy gaskets.

Back