72 XS2 main wiring harness routing

CalsXS2

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I'm using Superbike bars on my build. Now the main harness is too long. But I'm not even sure which hole in the back of the headlight it goes in. I think I have it right.

I thought I seen an online diagram somewhere for cable and wiring routing. But I sure can't find it now that I need it.

I have the main and the left side switch wires in the left hole. And everything else in the right hole. It seems the neatest this way except for the main.

Can someone post a pic of how the main harness is run.

Attachments

• WIRING HARNESS 003.jpg
    WIRING HARNESS 003.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 1,705
  • WIRING HARNESS 004.jpg
    WIRING HARNESS 004.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 1,125
  • WIRING HARNESS 007.jpg
    WIRING HARNESS 007.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 479
Thanks for the pics Gary. The third one shows me what I need I think. :thumbsup:

Do you feel that is the correct way the main harness is supposed to be. Across the top of the coils, then on top of the horn.

Anybody else care to post a pic just to confirm Garys.

Take a look at mine ,the harness goes under the tank mount and then over the steering lock and into the left side headlight opening,not saying this is right but this is how it was when I got it .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 274
Thanks for the pic's Guy's.

Right or wrong. Here's what I think I'm going to end up with.

Attachments

• HUBS AFTER SAND BLASTING 012.jpg
    HUBS AFTER SAND BLASTING 012.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 346
*whew* Finally got a couple pics. The Yamahas tended to have a bit of flopsy-mopsy going on with that main harness, dangling down low below the tank. I got spoilt by the Honda's tidyier routing, avoiding too much visible harness. As such, mine is tied to the tank mount, so that it shows minimum harness. The inner routing on our early ones went high above the coils, better airflow to cool the coils, as I've left it here.

There's two debatable issues here.

Routed high, like mine and YellowDog's, the harness pulls/pushes in/out of the headlight shell, risking headlamp wiring and connector longevity.

Routed low, as the original factory, the harness will flex more at/around the neck location, reducing strain on the bucket wiring, but eventually cracking the outer harness shroud.

Attachments

• TankHarness01 .jpg
    TankHarness01 .jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 534
  • TankHarness02.jpg
    TankHarness02.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 239
Back