72 XS2 take two.

made the fender mounts and notched it for chain clearance. also rounded any hard edges on it. still need to fully weld the mounts though.
IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

also got the brake stay tab tacked on.
IMG_0669.jpg

man, I really dig both versions. I am helping a buddy build a 72 XS2, is the first version running the stock front end and wheel with no brake?

the front end i was running on V.1 was a modified (stem shortened and re-welded to fit xs2 neck) set of late xs650 35mm trees with 4 over tubes. the wheel was from a honda xl175. iirc, i swapped the bearings to 17mm, and made a brake stay tab since it attached to the honda forks differently. i drilled the speed holes and put mesh behind them. honestly, the brake was useless, only really served a purpose of holding me in place while waiting for draw bridges. if i were to do it again, i would lace a cb350 drum to whatever size rim, as that 2ls hub (when properly set up) actually works pretty good.

heres a couple photos of the wheel i built as mentioned above for my 77 bonneville. I'm running 35mm xs650 forks and axle in the triumph trees. the rim is a 21", Buchannans stainless spokes, cb350 hub. i was surprised how well this works for a drum brake on a heavier bike such as my t140. maybe this will give your buddy some ideas for his xs2.
IMG_7864.jpg

FullSizeRender_3.jpg

IMG_8082.jpg

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
found an unknown kicker arm in one of my parts bins that worked perfect. no notching/clearancing and one less piece to chrome. guess never throwing anything away has finally payed off.

image_1.jpg

been slacking lately on this project. I'm waiting on some exhaust tubing to show up, and still need to go pick up some sheet metal to make my horse shoe electronics housing. I've been tinkering with a few things here and there, like modifying my breather set up from a dual to a single.
IMG_0730.jpg

also finished my taillight. i gutted a regular lucas style light and welded in a "shelf" for the led clusters to attach to. there is also a tab for the white plate light to mount to.
IMG_0734.jpg

both clusters as well as the plate light ground to the taillight housing.

and the taillight together. its hard to get a good picture of how bright it is in person.
IMG_0728.jpg

I'm using a simple two pin micro connector incase i ever need to remove the taillight or sissy bar from the bike.

and another little detail no one will ever notice or really care about is the amount i was able to take out of the lens depth. when i do it next time, ill use a different plate light, allowing me to take more out of the lens depth, but this one will work fine. little things like this are what i like to change, and makes it slightly different from the next guys setup.
IMG_0734.5.jpg

Back