Just did a test. Put a jumper from the solid red terminal to the blue terminal at the connector on the field side of the switch. Taillight came on. I could not shut the taillight off with the light on/off switch on the left handlebar.

pic6.PNG
pic7.PNG

Man, what you're trying to do with a bunch of pics is overwhelming Skull. Here is the full bucket. Don't know if what you need is clear enough here or not.
If there is a specific connection that you need more detail on, circle it or put an arrow to it and I'll try to get what you need.

IMG_20181016_221939 Skull.jpg

I think something else that should be verified is whether the brown power wire for the safety relay is indeed coming off the R/W after the kill switch. It would be easy to test for, simply turn the kill switch off and see if the starter still activates. If it does then the brown power wire going into it is coming from the main brown power wire in the harness, not the R/W after the kill switch.

With the kill switch off the starter does not work. I went to the starter solenoid expecting to find a red/wight and a blue/white. What I found there was a solid brown and blue/white. What the hay, that shouldn't be. Wires should not change color/number in the middle of a run.Went to my other XS2 that I have the tank off of and look what I found.
pic8.PNG
At the coils the R/W changes to Brown.That's not cricket.Yamaha played fast and loose with wire colors. Makes a guy wonder what else they might have done. I wonder if Mailman's is same?

Last edited:
OK, then that verifies that the brown to the safety relay is from the R/W running to the coils, after the kill switch. The kill switch kills the starter function as well as coil power. The colored diagram from Jayel in the 1st post actually shows it as you found it. That's probably the brown wire in your pic that runs to the safety relay.

Brown coming out of the solenoid agrees with the drawings, a black/white doesn't though.

I'm sorry it should have been Blue/White in stead of B/W. Ill correct that.

GLJ that correlates with Robonic's pic Post #34 Although his is a 73 and they are supposed to be the same........supposed is the operative word.....but the confirmation is great.

This shows the Red/White and the Brown coming out of the loom together and joining up to the coils together. Seems the brown wire from the Safety relay is running alongside the red/white where they join in the bullet connector and not spliced.

Maybe this is what they have done throughout the loom..........instead of splicing a wire into another it is looking like they run along side and connect/join together at a connector..........would explain why there are so many double wires coming out of connectors and into connectors.

Later looms they have spliced wires in the loom and some look amateurish at best...........I guess as the looms got more wires and cost cutting made the splicing more attractive
img_20181016_160400-jpg.127795

all this doubling up of wires is something to think about...........going to do some work on the pics posted

Robin those bucket pics are great......in fact all yours are.....gives a full picture of what is going where.:thumbsup:

It would be correct then for an early model, with a brown and blue/white coming out of the solenoid. On later models, the brown was changed to a R/W.

Post #1 there is a pic of Mailman's Solenoid with the brown and Blue/white. Shows them connected to the loom and other wires in that area.
Off fleecebay
72 Safety relay reg Sol 2.jpg

Safety relay 2 Brown, (in/out), Yellow, Black.
72 Safety relay reg Sol 4.jpg 72 Safety relay 2.jpg

Also Velocejoe's TX Solenoid
r Velocejoe TX 120180-f8080b12f5eab48f49f7a8051f0689b9.jpg

Confirms the 72/73 is the same

I think the safety relay - start button (lever) - solenoid area still needs some work. I think the brown out of the safety relay should run to the solenoid, not the start button (lever). The brown you show running to the solenoid from the battery should be a heavy black battery cable. The blue/white coming out of the solenoid should run through the start button (lever) to ground. I don't think the solenoid is grounded through it's mount as shown either.

Ok...............redone..... again......Thanks and hopefully no more revisions my photoshop program is running out of ink......can't afford another one....lol

Thanks 5Twins i can see clearly now....see any more...........

Will only crank if the kill switch is on. :thumbsup:

lol yes.........Up to operator to make sure all buttons and switches are in correct position..........and feet on footrests if moving and back on the ground when coming to a stop.............only once have i come to a stop, (was so proud of myself because i made it all the way home onto the front lawn and as pissed as a neut), and forgot to put my feet on the ground........yes i was lying on the ground next to the bike very quickly

I think the safety relay - start button (lever) - solenoid area still needs some work. I think the brown out of the safety relay should run to the solenoid, not the start button (lever). The brown you show running to the solenoid from the battery should be a heavy black battery cable. The blue/white coming out of the solenoid should run through the start button (lever) to ground. I don't think the solenoid is grounded through it's mount as shown either.
I gotta go look but the 72-73 with the pull start is a different animal than all the later push button models.

One more small thing - the battery speced for the early models up to '73 was a 12AH, not a 14. The 14AH came along in '74, along with a redesigned battery box that was probably a bit larger to accommodate it.

I gotta go look but the 72-73 with the pull start is a different animal than all the later push button models.
5twins is correct. The power to the coil of the solenoid comes from the safety relay. The coil of the starter solenoid grounds through the switch on the decompressor lever on the handle bars. I am currently putting a new wiring harness on my 72. I have spent the last 2 days getting very familiar with the wiring on this bike. Will post on my resurrection thread Friday problems I found with the replacement harness.

Back