'73 TX650 decompression cover & cable question

73TX650blueflake

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Just picked up this bike which only has 5400 miles registered on the speedometer. Needs some TLC to get back on the road, but will not take long. My question is re: the decompression cable which originates in right side handle bar grip area as a mini-lever & travels to a certain cover on the head. The gent I bought it from stated "it never had the cable for the 19 years I owned her" & the head cover doesn't have the piece extending from it to secure the cable. How can the electric starter work if the cable is missing?? or better yet "what am I missing"?? Thanks for any input you may have. (Bob)

That small lever assembly performs two functions , it has a small switch inside it that activates the starter when you pull it, it also pulls the compression release ( by cable ) on the left cylinder. 1972 was the first year to include an electric starter and the factory thought that releasing the compression from one of the cylinders would make it easier for the starter to turn the motor over. They only ran that set up for a couple of years. The starter motor is the same across all model years and doesn’t really need the help to turn the motor over. The guy you bought the bike from has apparently replaced the left exhaust valve cover for as aesthetic reasons. I’m guessing your motor still turns over when you pull the lever? It will operate just fine that way.
I recently finished a restoration on a ‘72. I have the compression release in place for the original look, but the cable is backed off so it’s slack. I’m not using it. I hope this helps, good luck with your bike and welcome to the forum.
You should post some photos, we’d love to see it!

B5290ECA-D4F0-48A7-AC4C-359712C2E3E2.jpeg

Thanks for the insight....I was wondering how the heck the mini-lever would start the engine. Being the purest I am I plan to return this bike to stock condition, so will need to locate the correct tappet head cover in order to terminate the cable (found an NOS cable for $25!). Bike was last registered in 2005. This will need a labor of love as well as a few bills to make it happen, but looking forward to getting her running & showing her off at local VJMC shows. Now I'm looking for an original owners manual, since all my other Yamaha's have them...….so if you hear of (or see) one keep me in mind.
Happy 4th of July, kind sir! (Bob)

Looks like it's sold already, but that's the cover that mine is lacking....the search continues...….lucky for me I'm patient! (lol) Thanks for sharing the link "Jim".

Looks like it's sold already, but that's the cover that mine is lacking....the search continues...….lucky for me I'm patient! (lol) Thanks for sharing the link "Jim".
Go back and read the comments. Reads like this one is still for sale. Ask and find out...

Yea as Jim says...........the seller had a complete unit with cables and all ....(sold to flea),...... and the new 4 hole tappet cover..........

Back