73 years ago today...

uncle meat

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My wife's Grandfather parachuted into Normandy, France with the 82nd Airborne Division, 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment.
It was his 3rd combat jump, making 4 total: Sicily, Italy, Normandy and Holland. I always put out our flag on this date due to the huge sacrifice made by so many.
Thanks Pfc. Billy J. Fleming, 82nd AB, 505PIR, 2nd Bn, D Company.

UM
Grandpa-Ireland.jpg

Thank you Billy J. Fleming and all the young men who sacrificed so much to free the world from tyranny. All of us that have enjoyed freedom and prosperity since the end of WW2 are in your debt.

Indeed, thanks Billy, and my uncle Glenn Price (Corporal in the Hastings & Prince Edward Regiment), and all of your buddies...from me and all of my buddies.

Yes, June 6 is an important day for Canadians. When I was in France a few years ago, I made it a point to visit Juno Beach, because of the young lads that fought and died there. I have a cousin that is buried in the Canadian War Cemetery at Bretteville Sur Laize, which is near the city of Caan. July 21, 1944....................he was only 22 years old. I placed a small Canadian flag on his grave.

A very historic day for the British, American and Canadian soldiers that landed in Normany.

Juno Beach.jpg
Bretteville Sur Laize.JPG
Bretteville Sur Laize 2.JPG

I do not know who named them to be the Greatest Generation, but they deserved it. Lived through the Great Depression and WWII. Some survived Korea and early Viet Nam. God Bless them ALL! I cannot begin to imagine what was going through those young men's head when they were crossing the channel and when the ramp lowered.

Yup...I often look at my 20-something engineering students and wonder if they have the stuff to do that sort of thing. I guess everyone does under the right circumstances.

I do not know who named them to be the Greatest Generation, but they deserved it. Lived through the Great Depression and WWII.

You're so right azman. My father was oversees in WWII with the 'Essex Scottish' (from your area Pete).

Often asked him about it, wasn't something he wanted to talk about. Some of the stories though, I won't even repeat here.

What was really sad was how after the war these young men were expected to just return to society as if nothing had happened.

Years later when PTSD was understood and discussed in public my mother talked about how Dad had suffered this without any help or support, and we wondered how many more suffered that same lonely fate. Forgotten and ignored by the government they willingly served.

I hope we take better care of the young men and women who serve and return today.

"All gave some, some gave all"

You're so right azman. My father was oversees in WWII with the 'Essex Scottish' (from your area Pete).

Often asked him about it, wasn't something he wanted to talk about. Some of the stories though, I won't even repeat here.

What was really sad was how after the war these young men were expected to just return to society as if nothing had happened.

Years later when PTSD was understood and discussed in public my mother talked about how Dad had suffered this without any help or support, and we wondered how many more suffered that same lonely fate. Forgotten and ignored by the government they willingly served.

I hope we take better care of the young men and women who serve and return today.

"All gave some, some gave all"

I remember helping my wife's Grandmother go through some paperwork of Billy Fleming (her husband) after he died, and finding a brochure on what you can expect when re-entering a normal life back in the States after the war... a brochure! I guess they handed it to him after his discharge and wished him luck. Grandma said he spent many years with sleepless nights and when she tried to talk to him about it, he wouldn't. He let her know that in no uncertain terms was she to ask him any questions about what he saw or did in the war.

UM

Ya UM, it is really sad how these people suffered. They were a tough, resilient, determined, proud generation. I doubt we will ever see another with their strength of character.

Sadly, I think they felt their private demons should remain as such. So they struggled in solitary silence.

Here is a picture of my current clients wife's helmet. He is a Canadian Veteran, she rides a beauty Sportster.

IMG_20170607_155310.jpg

I used to cut grass for seniors. One of my favorite was a 90+ yr old WWII B-25 pilot. Med theater. He told me of nightmares from missions even in his later years. How his wife would wake him up sometimes when he would have a bad one. Maybe he would talk to me about because I was retired USAF, aircraft maint. and an airplane nut. He also told me about ferrying planes after his return from combat flying. Another client was a cook in the US Army. He told me a few memories. Both good men and did well in life. Maybe the "Great Depression" taught them in young life how to take the bad times head on and not turn to drugs or not ignore the problems and deal with it. Just a guess.

Ya UM, it is really sad how these people suffered. They were a tough, resilient, determined, proud generation. I doubt we will ever see another with their strength of character.
Sadly, I think they felt their private demons should remain as such. So they struggled in solitary silence.
Here is a picture of my current clients wife's helmet. He is a Canadian Veteran, she rides a beauty Sportster.
View attachment 100896

Hi robin,
it was ever thus, like Kipling said:-
- - - It's Tommy this and Tommy that and kick him out, the brute!
But it's "Thin red line of Heroes" when the guns begin to shoot - - -
Two of my uncles served in WW2,
All the Royal Navy uncle would admit to was
"We sailed the seven seas for six years seeking out the enemy but never found him."
My British Army uncle was in the "Forgotten 14th" in Burma.
He never said anything at all about that experience.
All my war stories came from my group leader and he was in the Afrika Korps.
Captured by New Zealanders at age 19 (I was scared for my life, those guys didn't usually take prisoners)
he was shipped to South Africa, then to the UK and finally to a series of Canadian POW camps.
Repatriated in early 1946 he told them, I was here 5 years already, where's my citizenship papers?
It don't work like that, they said. Go home, learn a trade, come back.
So that's what he did.

...My British Army uncle was in the "Forgotten 14th" in Burma.
He never said anything at all about that experience...

Interesting, Fred. My dear ol' dad was also in the "Forgotten 14th" in Burma.
Mostly ground support missions, Burma road, Ledo road, ...etc.
p51-4.jpg

Getting stories outta him was like pulling teeth.
Not hard to understand, one of the members of his flight group took some ground fire and it ignited his napalm load. They never found the wreckage, thick jungles there...

That's quite a tale 2M. Imagine a terrified 19-22 year old going down on fire into a hostile jungle - poor soul. Sobering.

Interesting - they appeared to be flying P51Cs...

This is the story or part of it about my uncle Frank which I wrote some time ago, both my father and Frank served in WWII. My father was seconded by the RAF and flew on DDay, this is close to us as a family and since some of the stories here are about family members I thought I would share this with y'all.....
The images posted here are copyright © to our family.....written references are at the end of the text

The Uncle I never met

This is an account of “one of the most tragic episodes in the history of the RNZAF Fighter Wing, that occurred in the South Pacific on 15th January 1945. It was a black day for No. 14 Squadron, and for it’s sister No. 16 Squadron who were then based at Green Island. On that day, eight Corsair pilots failed to return, one of them after a gallant struggle for survival lasting almost nine hours”[1].
My uncle, Flight Lieutenant Francis (Frank) George Keefe RNZAF (NZ.417066) No. 14 Squadron, who was shot down by “Ack Ack” (anti aircraft fire) and was forced to a low level bail out, from his burning Voight F4U Corsair NZ5413 over Simpson Harbour, Rabaul, New Britain on that day.
Frank enlisted in the RNZAF on 21st December 1941 for initial training as an airman pilot, was awarded his flying badge and commissioned in the rank of Pilot Officer on 5th September 1942. He was further promoted to Pilot Officer on 5th September 1942, Flying Officer 1943 and to Flight Lieutenant 5th September 1944.
He was a Flying Instructor at Tauranga, then Harewood and in July 1944 went to Ohakea on a Fighter training course. Following his younger brother (my father) William John Francis Keefe (NZ. 4210922) into active service, he was posted to Ardmore for a conversion course on Corsair fighter aircraft. In September 1944 he was posted to Hobsonville and joined No14 Squadron at Ardmore and embarked for service in the Pacific arena 16 October 1944, which was based at Green Island in the Pacific campaign. Green Island is a small atoll 270 nautical miles South of the equator, strategically it was well within striking range of the Japanese held Island of Rabaul.

Shortly after 0900 Frank was to take part in an attack on Toboi Wharf, just South of Rabaul’s Simpson Harbor. During this sortie, his aircraft had a direct hit in the starboard wing forcing him to bail out. F/Sgt Norman Rosser who was with No.24 squadron got a first class view of events. “The Japs were pooping up ack ack and holed Bob Weir with a 20mm shell in his elevator trimming tab. F/Lt Keefe had his starboard wing hit which burst into flame. I had just turned off the target when I saw a Corsair come down in a screaming dive (vertical almost) just past my wing tip. I was at about 800 ft and the pilot hadn't got out then. I thought he had had it, but somehow he miraculously popped out in a flash, his 'chute opening about 200 ft above the deck, a split second before the plane hit the deck and, exploding, sunk immediately”[2]

Landing in the water near the Northern end of Simpson Harbour , Frank commenced swimming strongly towards the harbor mouth with the remainder of the Squadron circling above in spite of the “Ack Ack”. Base was advised and a rescue mission was put into place. There was only one solution and everyone new it, the Japanese included. Flight Lieutenant Keefe if he were to be picked up would have to make the long swim out past the entrance to Simpson harbor to a distance where a Catalina could land with at least a reasonable chance of taking off again.

So commenced a dogged struggle on the part of Keefe which was destined to last all day. Discarding his small rubber dingy (which would make a perfect target for the Japanese guns emplacements around the volcano), but retaining his Mae West (A Mae West is a yellow life jacket that can be inflated when the pilot is in the water), he set off from his position about half a mile north of a small group of Harbour Islands known as the Beehives. Shortly after 10 o’clock he had passed the Beehives and was striking out toward Matupi Island in the harbour mouth. Meanwhile reports of his progress were being sent to back to Green Island. At this stage he was being assisted by wind and tide “it seemed a rescue attempt just before nightfall would stand a fair chance of success. The time for a water landing was set for 6:15 pm. The long day wore on. There was never a moment when Simpson Harbour was not covered by New Zealand Corsairs, flights relieving each other at regular intervals “[3]

Plans were made at Green Island to have the local natives construct two life rafts made from bamboo, which were then dropped by a Ventura aircraft, when they arrived back at Simpson Harbour, they were distressed to find the tide had turned and he had now been washed back towards the Beehives. “Following behind, I observed that they had had come down close to the swimmer, but on this run he seemed to be lying motionless across what appeared to be a small log”[4]
It was decided by Squadron leader Paul Green, that any rescue would be suicidal “ that was the first half of the day nine drawn out hours of planning and striving to rescue a gallant New Zealand pilot whose struggle to win out against insuperable odds will never be forgotten by those who did their best and risked their lives to save him. But the day had not ended. This time the enemy was the weather” [5]
Approximately half way back to Green there appeared in front of us a jet-black tropical front stretching right across the horizon and down to sea level. “ [6]
This tropical storm claimed the lives of seven pilots, four from No. 14 squadron, and three from No.16 Squadron, only one body was found F/O G. Randell. As they flew in formations back to Green Island some missed Green Island completely never to be seen again, some crashed whist in formation.
This was most certainly the most tragic day for the RNZAF.
Frank was picked up by the Japanese Navy, Lieutenant Minora Fujita was on board the vessel, Frank was severely wounded in the arm and died ten days later whist a prisoner of war from blood poisoning at Naga Naga where he was buried, later re-interred in the New Zealand Military Cemetery Bourail, New Caledonia.
The story doesn’t end here though, in the 1980’s when I was living with my parents my father received a call from a friend asking had he seen the local newspaper? There was a story in there that someone from America was trying to find any living relatives of a pilot called “Keefer”. My Father followed the lead, what came from that was the person making the enquiry was indeed a Japanese Navy Lieutenant called Minora Fujita. In his 80’s he flew from California USA, to Auckland NZ to meet with our family, I was there for that meeting, Minora Fujita had actually been with Frank not long before he died. When they were together, the only English that he knew and was taught was the “Lords Prayer” which they recited. He had never forgotten this moment and wanted to pay his respects to our family.
The pilots that didn’t come back from that day, 15th January 1945,

No 14 Squadron
F/L F.G Keefe
F/L B.S Hay
F/O. A.N Saward
F/Sgt I.J Munro
F/Sgt J.S McArthur

No. 16 Squadron
F/L T.R.F Johnson
F/O G. Randell
F/Sgt R.W Albrecht

Service medals Francis George Keefe NZ. 417066,
The 1939 – 45 Star, The Pacific Star, The War Medal 1939 -45, The NZ War Medal

References:
[1] F/Sgt Norman Rosser: Excerpt from his war dairy he kept whilst in the Islands 15 January 1945

Too Young To Die: Bryan Cox,
[4,5,6] Chapter Five Page 125, 126
Bryan is a family friend and also survived that days flight, by shear luck.

RNZAF A Short History Geoffrey Bentley
[1,3] Chapter thirteen page 125

No 14 Squadron Green Island 1945, Frank is the cigarette smoker pictured....
No 14 Squadron Green Island 194501.jpg

Frank 1942
FL FG Keefe 1942-1.JPG

Vought F4U NZ5332 Ardmore Aerodrome 1944 (actual picture of Frank piloting this aircraft)
Vought F4U NZ5332 Ardmore 1944 (1).jpg

My fathers story is interesting as well he flew Beaufighters over Europe during the war and then returned home a changed man, like so many others. I'll look for some of his pictures too....

Mick

Thanks Mick - he was quite a guy. It must have been extremely painful for Frank's mates to watch him struggle and so nearly make it to safety.

Thanks for sharing this moving story.

Pete

Back