74 Frame Restoration - Paint or Powder Coat?

bparsons

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Need advice on how to refinish my frame - paint or powder coat?

I'm nearing the end of the teardown phase of my 1974 650 and am getting ready to do the frame. Engine is out, everything if off of the frame and I'm planning to send it out to the sandblaster. After the sandblasting, should I have it painted or powder coated?

I'm going back to stock with this restoration, so should the black finish be flat or have any shine to it?

If you recommend paint, what type of paint do you recommend?

Thanks for the help! Any other advice for this frame resto is welcome.

Personally I like powder coating. I find it a little more durable compared to paint. I believe stock they had more of a gloss finish. I did mine if a flat finish just because I like the look and it's a little more forgiving to nicks and scratches.

I am not a big fan of powder coating. The paint on your frame is what forty years old? Thats not to shabby. It should be gloss black. Make sure you clean it good after blasting or you will end up with sand in your paint. Good luck.

I used a low texture truck bedliner on mine. Comes in aerosol form. Tough as nails. Not as smooth as paint, but 2 cans was inexpensive.

Posted via Mobile

Which bedliner did you use? I used Duplicolor bed armor. It does pretty good if I accidentally whack it with something but I can scratch it with a fingernail. I would not recommend it.

My brother in law has a bike shop and they powder coat in house. There is a wrinkle powder that is pretty hot right now.

Powdercoat the frame? I not only powder my frame I recently powdercoated my tins on my Harley and I wouldn't pay for another paint job. Seriously, there are people around here asking the price of a whole motorcycle for a paint job. Its like your asking for a Rembrant. I'm happy with powder. Cost $300 for my bike and probably a lot more durable then paint.
jefft

Thanks for the feedback... seems like powder coating is my best bet. Planning to go with the glossy black that you guys are saying. Will post a pic of the frame pre-blasting.

Back