'74 TX650 Build (monoshock)

YesX650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
1974 TX 650, 8400 kms. Block leaking oil. New piston in cylinder 1 (original owner ran lean and blew hole in piston). It was last registered 15 years ago.

20190421_133204.jpg

20190422_204154.jpg

Keep in mind that I bought this frame already cut up. Well... The rear frame loop had been bastardized. If I could have brought her back I would, but then again I always wanted to do this... so break out the beer and grinder!! :devil:

I will continually update this post with the most recent photo of my bike. From here on in are progress pics.
20190602_131011.jpg

Attachments

• 20190518_194832.jpg
    20190518_194832.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 275
  • 20190522_204940.jpg
    20190522_204940.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Who doesn't like the look of a hard tail? Honestly. The lines, the straight backbone down to axle. The simplicity.

Ok, so who likes riding down a cobble stone street on a bicycle that has no rubber on the back wheel? ...Me neither.

So I flirted with the idea of a soft tail build. I surveyed the frame and drew up a 3D CAD model of how I would approach that build. It looked good however if anyone does even a lick of research on softails they'll soon discover that it has minimal suspension travel and is a terrible handling the rear end....so scrap that idea.

Bratty it is!
Xs650.jpg

So you can see if I did a brat style chop (as pointed out by the vets) , lowered, with a stock length swingarm, I would surely be getting a wheel up the arse on the first bumper. Scrap that idea!

Monoshock it is! Haha. Do your homework here. Suspension geometry is no joke. Yes you can almost put any swingarm into anything but the angles and spring rate / travel.ect. are most important.

I had to widen the frame a solid inch in order to wiggle this swingarm in there. If you want details I can explain.
20190515_215409.jpg

20190516_165456.jpg

20190516_165732.jpg

20190517_161913.jpg

Last edited:
Rear fender!
I got a sportster rear fender for $75. It was damaged, plastic broken , body fill....it was perfect.

20190517_161927.jpg

It doesn't fit. Shucks..the radius of the fender is not even remotely close to the radius of my new rear tire.

So I set it to roughly 12:00 - 1:00 over the axle (Alberta law) and cut it!
20190518_135444.jpg

Hi YesX,
Enjoying your build. Your welds and gussets look good and well designed. I’m curious about a couple things, what kind of shop are you working in? It looks like some sort of fabrication business, are you by chance a welder?

Also what are your plans for the wheels? Or have you got that far in the plan yet?

Anyways, I’m enjoying following along and good luck with your project! :thumbsup:
Bob

Thank you for the positive feedback. I understand it's not a restoration and usually these guys would like to see a bike brought back to original condition, but hopefully I can pay respect by not half-assing things.

Im a metal fabricator (structural steel and plate fitter) and I work in the sign industry. I engineer and fabricate digital billboard structures, free standing pylon signs, and anything cookie cutter. Right down to stickers (vinyl). It's new everyday and I love it.
20190314_100425.jpg

As for wheels, I really want to run spokes and white wall tires. I'm a sucker for old school. Let's hope this mismatch monoshock and sportster tank doesn'tlook like a monster.

Thank you!

I'm really leaning toward a Springer fork set up. Be it I build one or just buy A DNA.

Back down to earth, I'm trying to decide which battery is the smallest I can run but still keep electric start. I read something about 8 cell antigravity batteries? But I'm not sure what it takes to use them i.e. reg/rec, alternator, ect

I would go with an earthx etx12a. Unlike the antigravity they have over/under charge protection built in. Works fine with estart, might struggle a bit when its under 45-50* out. It's the battery I'm using on my tracker with EFI, I am running a PMA with a modern sh775 reg/rec. The built in protections on the battery saved me from having to get a new one when the chinese stator failed.

Shock mount looks good, I'm not the biggest bobber fan but this one is off to a good start.

If I do change over to a Lithium battery due to area constriction, can I run a stock charging system or do I need to upgrade everything?
Thanks

Hey guys, I'm looking for electrical box ideas..I made a cardboard battery mock up while I wait for my Shorai LFX07L2-BS12.
I'm thinking I have to mount it under my seat buy just can't decide which orientation...it all looks ugly haha.

Back