75 First Build not going original or chopper

Moisstink

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so I bought this 1975 xs a few months ago. I did not pay a whole lot for it but it had already had the engine bored out to a 750 and a few parts switched out from newer 650's. So this was perfect because I was not wanting to butcher an original bike. I have a 1976 cb550 for that. Anyway,

I am posting what the bike was when started and will be posting photo's as I go and most likely a lot of questions. Feedback welcome.
First shot is when bought and last two is where I am at now.

So far I have shortened the mufflers,
lowered the rear shocks
dropped the front end and replaced the bars with clip ons (upside down) (I like the profile and feel my back will be safe.)
Switched the foot pegs
cut the side panels (will weld front plate to keep from turning them into air-scoops, which I feel will fuck with the carbs flow)
added a finned extended oil cooler
removed the Yamaha from the clutch cover and stator cover
Switched the tank from the 650 to a XS500
and added a skid plate (I know completely unnecessary - liked the look)
Removed the front fender. I live in AZ and it rains about 5 days a year out here.

Any feedback welcome. If you hate anything on it that's cool but constructive criticism appreciated. I will post as I go along. I really just like the flat track style, brat, bobber and cafe style so I am mixing it up to my taste which I am sure will get under a lot of peoples skin.

I still have a lot of work thinking dual front brakes, seat, lights, tires (possible fairing)

Mechanically the bike seems pretty tight. I took it for a spin when I picked it up and a couple mid build but since the seat has been off I have just seafoamed the gas and fresh oil. Hoping to have it on the street within the next month or so and finish the build by the end of the summer when our riding season gets really nice.

Attachments

• when purchased.jpg
    when purchased.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 307
  • angle web.jpg
    angle web.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 319
  • side web.jpg
    side web.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 327
I was thinking I may have to cut some larger holes in the plate but I was hoping the fins still being completely available to airflow and the oil cooler I would get lucky. I am def going to check the link. I am not too thrilled about damaging the motor for a look. With the engine bored out to a 750 will that increase temp? Seems possible. I just checked out the temp gauges and for that price how can you lose? Thanks for the link. I have been looking for one of these for my 76 honda CB550 for a while. cool.

Very long story short, a 750 vs 650, under the same loads, should be close to the same temps.
It's when you use that extra power that the temperature will increase...

Your finned oil cooler will drop your oil temps just a few degrees, according to those who have them.
Search this site for better options. I plumbed in the cooler of an 82 Seca turbo.
The stock front fender has a heavy brace built into it. This brace stiffens the forks. You might want to consider cutting the fender down to just a bit more than the brace or add an aftermarket fork brace.
Leo

Already have a brace for the front fork. I did a cnc job at work that should do the job really well. Not installed yet. Still doing a little front end work.

Hi Moisttink,
gotta say, that first photo got me puzzled until I realized it was a mirror image.
How did that happen? I've seen list photos that were sideways or inverted but never backwards.
Couple of thoughts:-
Some of the engine cooling is from airflow over the crankcase and your dive brake will block that off unless there's some holes in it.
Dual disks add serious unsprung weight, think about a single disk upgrade instead?

Hi Moisttink,
gotta say, that first photo got me puzzled until I realized it was a mirror image.
How did that happen? I've seen list photos that were sideways or inverted but never backwards.
Couple of thoughts:-
Some of the engine cooling is from airflow over the crankcase and your dive brake will block that off unless there's some holes in it.
Dual disks add serious unsprung weight, think about a single disk upgrade instead?

Oh yeah, the first photo is mirrored not sure how that happened. I am wondering with a new double disk set up with brembo's are they still a lot heavier than an original 650 single disk up front? What kind of weight difference are we talking? Definitely something worth taking into account.

I am thinking I really need to cut out a few 2.5" holes on the skid plate for sure and an oil temp guage.

I just ordered some velocity stacks since this will definitely not be a daily rider I was thinking I'll need to double up on the oil change and re-jet possibly. Anyone experienced with going from foam pods to velocity stacks? The deal I got on the stacks I figured I had to try them out. 35.00 to my door. Thanks for the positive vibes on the messages.

Oh yeah, the first photo is mirrored not sure how that happened. I am wondering with a new double disk set up with brembo's are they still a lot heavier than an original 650 single disk up front? What kind of weight difference are we talking? Definitely something worth taking into account.
I am thinking I really need to cut out a few 2.5" holes on the skid plate for sure and an oil temp guage.
I just ordered some velocity stacks since this will definitely not be a daily rider I was thinking I'll need to double up on the oil change and re-jet possibly. Anyone experienced with going from foam pods to velocity stacks? The deal I got on the stacks I figured I had to try them out. 35.00 to my door. Thanks for the positive vibes on the messages.

Hi Moisstink,
my bike got far better braking by doubling up on the stock flying manhole covers with the stock m/c and stainless lines.
And yeah, the second disk did give the bike an extra 10lbs or so of unsprung weight.
Mind you, a sidecar tug don't need a nimble front end but it does need better braking.
OTOH, twin lighter weight disks on a solo? I'd go for that.
While velocity stacks look good and work just fine, they don't keep the dust out of the engine.
And as you mention not needing a front fender because of your local climate that tells me there's lots of dust to get sucked into your engine.
Dust + Engine oil = grinding paste, eh?

Thanks for the louvers idea. Did not even think of that but I really like the idea.

Yeah, dust with the velocity stacks are definitely a draw back to the functionality. If I am going to do anything like a long run I will most likely switch back to the pods. Little more frequent oil changes are definitely in my future. I guess I will check it out see how it works out. I appreciate the pros and cons on these ideas.

Back