'75 pilot jet removal issue

Note: can't figure out why Ridgid didn't put LH drill bits in that kit. :umm: :doh:
I went on their site and sent them an email. :sneaky:
That definitely makes sense! LH drill bits do have one drawback, though. They do not always work well with keyless chucks, as the reverse torque can have a tendency to loosen the chuck.

Likely they don't include LH bits because most drill presses are not reversible (at least mine isn't), I have a few good LH ones of different sizes the I got at our local tool outlet. I also have a set of Harbor Freight crappy steel LH bits that give me a wider selection.

A conspiracy theorist would say that Ridgid does not include them because if the LH drill bit alone removes the offending item that the customer would be standing there saying "What the..., why did I spend all this money on the kit when all I needed was a $2 drill bit?" :)

I think that they work well on jets because the soft brass gets grabbed by the bit.

Last edited:
Ridgid is more of a tradesman company. Plumbers electricians etc. So guys in the field with battery drills. So far haven't had any issues using my cheap lh drill bits aside from breaking one. Will be interesting to see if I get a response.

A "nothing-to-lose" option.

Carefully drill straight and centered thru the bottom of the pilot jet well.
DrillPilotWell.jpg

Now you can access the bottom side of the pilot jet. Use a slim punch to knock-out the broken "snap-off".

Then, use a right-hand drillbit to remove the stuck pilot jet. Down-pressure should help reduce the grip of jet-to-seat.

Carefully pre-planning and selection of drillbit sizes. The jet well can be plugged using the typical ball-bearing, perhaps making this rescue appear like OEM.

The drillbit size must be less than the seat diameter.
For the later rebated jets, choosing a bit size that *just* fits into the jet's opening should allow it to bite into the upper orifice, and give grip.
PilotJetOrifice.jpg

They're here.........
No joy so far.
Carbide burr nope
drill bit in the mill, nope.
that bottom up method too many talked about is kinda scary. these don't have any center mark on the bottom and it's a mighty small hole through the jet seat area.
Hi Gary,
diamond tip burr in a Dremel, maybe?

Never tried it but....
Touch a TIG electrode to the easy out. Pull the trigger for a second... easy out welds itself to the electrode... pull it out... maybe?

Never tried it but....
Touch a TIG electrode to the easy out. Pull the trigger for a second... easy out welds itself to the electrode... pull it out... maybe?
Pretty sure the tungsten electrode would snap, as it is pretty brittle. I would rather use a 1.6 mm arc welding rod, and slowly build up something to turn the easy out with. A company called Magna used to have rods well suited to this.

Pretty sure the tungsten electrode would snap, as it is pretty brittle. I would rather use a 1.6 mm arc welding rod, and slowly build up something to turn the easy out with. A company called Magna used to have rods well suited to this.
You're prolly right, but here's my thinking. The quick burst of heat would also melt the brass... giving a small window of time to easily extract the steel piece. Yeah... it's a long shot.

All good suggestions Thanx guys
The carbide bit would work the brass away from the easy-out but a bit big to fit between the easyout and the float bowl thread.
Just got done trying to drill a hole centered in the shank of a screw driver, no joy on that one, even a cheapy screwdriver is pretty hard :cautious:
going looking for a 20 penny common nail, that should be more "drillable" but still fairly hard
Who knows what I'm think'n of trying next?
pilot stuck.jpg

PS these float bowls have a longer tit on the bottom, a good 13mm heading in that way before I even get to the side drilled passage below the jet seat. by the time I drill a hole small enough to not muck up the seat then drill through the jet orifice, the odds of a very skinny "drift" loosening the easy out by tapping before the drift bends don't seem good. :umm:.

“I have not failed, I found 1000 1001 ways to not make a light bulb.”
- Thomas Edison
:rolleyes:

Kiddin'... at least ya tried. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back