'75 pilot jet removal issue

BUT:

Float bowls are good to go.
20200206_172606.jpg
20200206_172602.jpg

I'll get them in the mail in the morning.
;)

The pilots had a center hole so those easy-breaks were pretty close to center. nice soft brass around that crazy hard steel.
beavered out some brass with a carbide burr in the dremel, so the easy-snap stood a bit proud.
20200206_104154.jpg

Butchered up a bolt.
20200206_150211.jpg 20200206_152447.jpg
Tried a carriage bolt first, it was too soft, so made another out a grade 5 bolt. :laugh2: that was just hard enough to work the brass,
put it all in the mill and went at it.
20200206_162831.jpg
lots of oil, brass chips coming up. kept pecking 'till the jet was free of the bowl. On the first bowl the "hard-out" and remains of the jet dropped down after I got deep enough I was able to just tap the bowl on the bench til they fell out..
On the second bowl the easy out stuck inside the "drill bit", took a bit ;), but was able to snag and work the remainder of the jet out of the hole with some number drills.
Cleaned up the threads with a tap and done.
The meatball mechanic strikes again!

Attachments

• 20200206_152548.jpg
    20200206_152548.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 157
  • 20200206_162501.jpg
    20200206_162501.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 217
WOW! I am utterly amazed how you did that. Holy cow! Just goes to show that there’s more than one way to skin a cat. I honestly thought they were toast. There is no way I could have done that with my modest abilities. Thanks Gary. I learned an awful lot from this whole situation.

Full disclosure..
I had no idea if or how this could be done. It was a blind challenge..
All suggestions were, and are appreciated!
When the bowls came this morning I tried the dremel burr, that wasn't going to do it! I and was feeling all
So went and ate lunch.
I came back downstairs, that's when the idea came that I hoped could work.
Tried drilling the shank of a cheap old screwdriver to make the bit first, no way Josie! Drill bits wouldn't touch that stuff.
The old guy doing this kind of fine work is getting down there.
Magoo-glasses.jpg

So that ended up being a fun way to spend a winter afternoon. :)

Last edited:
"Meatball mechanic," eh? There aren't many hands steady enough to work that rotary tool without tearing things up. Then there's the little matter of knowing how to operate a milling machine and fabricating a cutting tool for it. No humble pie for you, Gary. We know masterwork when we see it.

Last edited:
"Meatball mechanic," eh? There aren't many hands steady enough to work that rotary tool without tearing things up. Then there's the little matter of knowing how to operate a milling machine and fabricating a cutting tool for it. No humble pie for you, Gary. We know masterwork when we see it.
Well stated, Dick.

Although I have 50 reasons to be here tonight, I must say that this is just the sort of informative and entertaining thread that keeps me engaged with this forum.
:)

Back