'75 xs bike and box o' parts

SteelSmoke

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
Looking for some help. I came across a 75 xs for a bargain. The bike was stripped for a project that never really got under way, but the parts had all been boxed up. So, for $80 I bought the bike.
This is my first project bike. I have tools, and I like wrenching an all but I'm kinda lost on where to begin with this thing.
The bike has been stripped to the frame, all wiring removed. I know the motor has compression but aside from that I know nothing on the condition of the motor. The previous owner told me he put the bike into storage about ten years ago.
Do you guys advise me cracking the motor open for an inspection?
Should I just try to wire it simply to try and fire it up?-what would I need to wire up to turn her over?
I am planning on removing the carbs and giving them a good cleaning, but after that I am open to suggestions.
Thanks in advance,
-mike

Welcome SS - it sounds like you've scored with that '75! There is tons of engine expertise here but my first suggestion is that get yourself a manual. They are available free for downloading and are well worth the effort.

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited:
Welcome SS - it sounds like you've scored with '75! There is tons of engine expertise here but my first suggestion is that get yourself a manual. They are available free for downloading and are well worth the effort.

Here's the one you need, right here. And welcome to the club. I have a '75 myself.

Not all of this is applicable to you, since most of yours is in a box, but this is a good guide to assessing the condition of your find.

There was another very useful post about waking up an old bike, but I can't find it right now.

Hi everybody,
Looking for some help. I came across a 75 xs for a bargain. The bike was stripped for a project that never really got under way, but the parts had all been boxed up. So, for $80 I bought the bike.
This is my first project bike. I have tools, and I like wrenching an all but I'm kinda lost on where to begin with this thing.
The bike has been stripped to the frame, all wiring removed. I know the motor has compression but aside from that I know nothing on the condition of the motor. The previous owner told me he put the bike into storage about ten years ago.
Do you guys advise me cracking the motor open for an inspection?
Should I just try to wire it simply to try and fire it up?-what would I need to wire up to turn her over?
I am planning on removing the carbs and giving them a good cleaning, but after that I am open to suggestions.
Thanks in advance,
-mike

Hi mike and welcome,
betcha there's nobody that has seen your post that isn't writhing with envy.
A caution, assemble the bike but before you spend money on it be sure you can get that $80 bargain registered in your name.
Like MaxPete sez, you can download a manual. If you have more computer savvy than me you can e-send a copy to Staples and they'll
print you off a hardcopy.
Before you try and start the engine it should be put in the frame at least. Put into a rolling chassis would be better just so you can move it around.
What I'd do then is pull the carbs and clean them. The list has a "how to" for that.
Then I'd pull the sparkplugs, squint down the plugholes and try easing the engine over with the kickstarter.
There's a minimal "chopper" wiring diagram in the list that'll tell you how to connect the points, coils, etc. to get the engine started.
And yeah! Before attempting a start-up, first change the oil.

Agreed, definitely try to put it together and see if you can get it running/registered before you invest the time and money. In PA if you both show up to transfer the title they have no reason to look at the bike. Any time I've bought a bike out of state and came in with a signed title and bill of sale, they want to see the bike to confirm the vin number. I can't say whether they'd be concerned whether I brought it a complete bike, or just the frame so they can confirm the vin, that would depend on the notary and how picky your state is.

Fred is right, I bet plenty of people here are big time jealous! (I kid.... I kid....)

Thanks Guys!
MaxPete, had no idea I could just download the manual and thanks Michaelpthompson!! really appreciate the link for the download. Got my self some nice reading material now.
Fredintoon and upthemaiden, luckily the motor is in the frame. I'm going to work on pulling the carbs when I get home, looks like its going to be pretty tight, I'll just take my time and hopefully I can squeeze them out. I'll pop those plugs and take a peek and let you guys know how I make out.
Really appreciate everyone's input. Thanks again!
oh and hope my bargain price isn't getting too many guys out there green lol I'll end up paying out down the road I'm sure..

Thanks Guys!
MaxPete, had no idea I could just download the manual and thanks Michaelpthompson!! really appreciate the link for the download. Got my self some nice reading material now.
Fredintoon and upthemaiden, luckily the motor is in the frame. I'm going to work on pulling the carbs when I get home, looks like its going to be pretty tight, I'll just take my time and hopefully I can squeeze them out. I'll pop those plugs and take a peek and let you guys know how I make out.
Really appreciate everyone's input. Thanks again!
oh and hope my bargain price isn't getting too many guys out there green lol I'll end up paying out down the road I'm sure..

....Ohhhh, yes. ;)

Welcome in steel smoke 75 carbs come off easy as they are only held together by hoses.

OK, got the carbs off. Safe to say they are going to need some attention. I started cleaning one up, good news is so far seems like a bit of elbow grease may be able to bring 'em back to life. Any suggestions on what I can soak them in? I can continue to tear them down, and they prob need it, but if its safe I'd just as soon like to give the whole assembly a bath.

Def some carbon build up from what I could see peering in the intake. Doesn't look horrible, kinda what you'd expect a 40+ year old motor to look like. I removed the plugs they looked brand new like they were just installed. From what I could see in the cylinders they seem a bit corroded but nothing too too bad. Lightly turned the motor over with the kick. Turned over smoothly, no harsh sounds.

I know I got a ton of work ahead of me and fingers crossed she'll fire but either way I'm havin' fun.

Got some pics up. Now I know she isn't the prettiest thing right now, but if you dimm the lights and squint a little she doesn't look half bad lol

xs 2.jpg

xs 1.jpg

carbs 1.jpg

I would definitely commit myself to doing that bike, bobber or with springs to near stock, but not restored to complete stock.

Like it or not, you have prime hard tail material there with those wheels and brakes and model.

If you lay out your other parts and take some pictures we can help you identify what you have and haven't got.

Seems the front wheel is on backwards. Looks like the rotor and stator are gone too.

Scott

Last edited:
At a bare minimum clean off the floats and do the hot water dip test, odds are very high the floats leak.
The throttle shafts have rubber seals they are usually (always) hard and junk, If you attempt a dip clean it's a guarantee. Hope no one claimed this would be cheap and easy.
Looks like forks legs are also on backwards.

You can dunk the float bowls, no rubber in there and they look like they need it, but as Gary said, don't dunk the main bodies. Forks are on backwards and on the wrong sides. The caliper mounts should face the front and the axle nut should be on the other side.

Don't be ashamed, we've seen rust and crud before, that just takes time, and we know the gems beneath that rust and crud. PICTURES !!!!!!

Scott

Hi Mike,
yeah, the carbs condition is best described as "in a sea of shit" .
Fred's tips on carb cleaning:-
Only clean one carb at a time.
Work in a big cafeteria tray to keep those tiny parts from escaping onto the floor and sometimes into another dimension.
Grind up a set of special screwdrivers to be a perfect fit in the slots in those softer-than-shit brass jets etc.
Remove the float pins by hitting the unflanged end with a spring-loaded automatic center-punch.
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/6-in-automatic-centre-punch/A-p8548232e
(If you don't have one, go buy one.
It'll pay for itself the first time it's use stops you snapping a float hinge post off)
Remove every last jet, needle etc. that can be removed.
Poke every jet through with a length of wire then squirt carb cleaner through it.
Squirt carb cleaner through every passageway in the carb body.
I've never seen floats as crudded up as those in your photo.
Try carb cleaner and an old toothbrush?
You could put the carb bodies in an ultrasonic cleaning bath but as has been posted
no harsh solvents. Dish soap & water only.

I do scrub some areas of the main body with carb cleaner if need be, but I thoroughly wash it off immediately afterwards with something mild like kerosene. In fact, I start my cleaning with kerosene, only resorting to the carb cleaner for spots that won't clean up. I first attempt to blow the passageways clear with kerosene too, only resorting to carb cleaner if they're plugged. I do make it a point to keep the carb cleaner away from the ends of the butterfly shafts (and their seals).

I don't understand the sudden hesitancy to use carb cleaner on carbs and the eagerness to poke wires through jets -- unless you're going to whittle on the frame, in which case nothing else matters...

Back