75 xs650 ATU retainer nut

leelee86

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I've been having issues removing the nut that holds the ATU in place. I've tried waking it with a screwdriver and hammer but it won't budge. It just seems to deform the nut. Any chance you guys have another idea on how to get it off?

Attachments

• 20190104_201013.jpg
    20190104_201013.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 112
From your pic, it kind of looks like you are tightening, rather than loosening it. It unscrews counter-clockwise. If that's the direction you are going, and it's not coming, I suggest pointing a heat gun on low at it for about 7 minutes, and then the screwdriver and hammer.
If the nut is really that stuck, then the plate behind it will probably be stuck too, requiring heat again and little pry bars to get under it fashioned from bent-tip screwdrivers.

I use a pin punch. It will deform the notches too, but not as badly as a screwdriver. Your ATU looks rusty and that probably means the retaining nut is rusted up too. I'd be applying lots of penetrating oil and some heat too. Your ATU base plate looks like it's missing one of the spring posts. You'll probably need a replacement. You could replace the retaining ring too if you bugger it up too badly getting it off.

You'll probably find the ATU base plate is stuck on the end of the cam even after you get the retaining ring off. When re-assembling the parts, use plenty of anti-seize on them, both on the threads and on the cam where the ATU slips on.

I was wacking it counter clockwise. I think those other marks a from the original owner. I'll try to hit it with some heat and some penetrating oil as well and come back to it.

Yeah i noticed one of the spring posts were missing as well. I was planning on replacing the whole unit anyways.

Back