75 xs650b build questions

Orion75xs

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I got the bike last summer and didn't do much with it in hopes to do a cafe/tracker build over the winter. (didnt happen)
Spring rolled around and I finally pulled the motor and rebuilt the top end.
Now the motor is about ready to be mounted and its time to look at electrical and that's where I become lost.
I'm running stock points ignition and I want to know what my best options are as far as minimizing the wiring, going to a single coil, etc.

Any help or suggestions as far as the electrical goes would be greatly appreciated.

this article is a great starting point:

http://www.bikeexif.com/motorcycle-wiring

I've done the harness from scratch on the last few bikes I've built, and with the last one I used a wiring kit from a vendor on here as well
as a motogadget m-unit + M-button + momentary handlebar switches to simplify the process. yes, the motogadget stuff is somewhat expensive - I get it - but at some point I realized my time is worth something to me, and spending the money up front was worth the time savings. by using the wiring kit and motogadget, I had the entire bike wired within 3 hours. the internal wiring on the bars was separate and took another 3-4 hours since I had never done it before, but you don't have to go that route.

I agree that wiring a bike from stock can be a learning experience, but I decided to take a bit of a different approach with mine.

I'm not sure how our harnesses compare, but mine is a 79 Special and had a lot of the "good ideas of the 70's" that either just didn't work anymore or were a bad idea to begin with.

I starter by tearing into the existing harness and tracing / learning stuff. I have now cut out probably 1/3 of the factory wiring and the bike is still fully wired with battery, starter, blinkers etc. But I know know what does what and where it goes. This forum was also a great source of information for those "often used" wiring tips.

Back