751 mile solo weekend on my xs

blue900

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Blackfoot, Idaho to Billings, Montana And back 751 miles 2 weekends ago. Left the house at 9:30am sat,
Got home sunday at 7:30pm about 8 hrs to get home.
that was a fun adventure. I showed up for a surprise birthday party it was great.
I got rained on really good by Bozeman on the way over, could have been much worse. Not soaked just lower legs and boots soaked. Leather jacket wet though layers under it mostly dry.
Rain gear would have been a good idea.

O ya heated gear Rocks. I used my new Heated bib from http://areostich.com/. I have had the velcro hand warmers for a year they work nice. I was not sure how the electrical system would handle them and ran them separately for the first 3 hours, when it started raining with all the ran over spray I was cold, so I said screw it and left both on till the road dried out and sunshine.I turned them off when not cruising down the road.

The ride home was very nice weather with some real windy spots.

Blackfoot is at 4520 ft. the continental divide Raynolds Pass 6834 feet. billings is at 3648 ft.
2/3 65 mph hyway, 1/3 75 mph freeway
the bike ran great and seemed to handle wind or hills fine. but struggled both conditions combined it would only go 60-65.

trip average gas mileage 42mpg seems a bit low. I seems to be running really good.
I hope to get a tune up wires, replace the stock coil. its probably getting a little tired at over 50,000 miles.
Out of all the rides i have been on through the years this was the longest. It is running the best ever idles, great starts right up and goes down the highway good.

anyway here are a few pictures i took on the way home.

1. crazy mountains just off the freeway at big timber, montana
2.pass @ ennis,montana
3.continental divide, raynonds pass, looking into montana
4. continental divide, raynonds pass, looking into idaho
on the last one see henrys lake, cant be seen in the picture but the teton peaks are in the background by the sign, the air was very clear with all the rain the day before.
:bike:

Attachments

• 1crazy-mountains,Big-Timber,MT.jpg
    1crazy-mountains,Big-Timber,MT.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 207
  • 2ennis-MT.jpg
    2ennis-MT.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 210
  • 3raynolds-pass.jpg
    3raynolds-pass.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 217
  • 4raynolds-pass-idaho.jpg
    4raynolds-pass-idaho.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 217
That sounds like a great trip. Fuel consumption a bit low? - that might be a jetting issue and riding at altitude, it does have an effect.

Where on the wiring harness did you put the power outlet, was that between battery and fuse?

Anlaf

ya been learning and working on the jetting for years I'm zeroing in on it, getting close.

the power for the gear is from the battery with a fuse, the plan is to get them on a relay

Sounds like you had a nice trip blue.
You didn't happen to see barb anywhere?
What muffler is that on your bike?

Beautiful scenery....................good looking bike, life is good:thumbsup:

Rain gear is essential for me on any trip when I go out of town. I just don't like getting soaked.

Back