76 xs650 wont stay in neutral

Does it shift properly otherwise.?
There is an adjustment on shift shaft to do for putting the " Sharkfins " that hooks on behind the starwheel
equal distance from the pins.
With the green and red circles on the picture
The red --- 6 o clock touches what is called " Change lever 2 " the one with the hooks ( Sharkfins )
The green --8 o clock touches what is called " Change lever 1 "

Lower down on " Change lever 1 " there is a lock nut with an excenter adjusting screw and a spring.
Adjusting makes " Change lever 2 " move to a different horizontal position
The hooks shall be equal distance from the pins that are hooked on to rotate the shift drum.
I am thinking in terms of that it does not index properly so that the spring with pin we believed was
broken ( Jim # 7 )
Dont seat at the right place
I am not that good at English and it might not be a problem this time but I do know that after a rebuild if that adjustment is off
It might not shift at all or poorly
And some rebuild might have happened over the years.
You will see the adjustment in there and if it is correct.

Be careful with the clutch tool .. I once made a " Substandard " performance with one cheap tool.
Expensive mistake with a cheap tool
Apologize for the description but perhaps some other gentleman better with pictures can post which one I Mean

Before this happened it shifted perfect on the last ride I went on everythimg was great went to move it the other day and it kept popping out of neutral and here I am today. Once I get in there I will check the adjustment you mentioned above. The tool I bought was from Mikes so lets hope its made well enough for the job. Thanks for the info!

Back