77 Cafe Project

glaswerks

XS650 Newbie (Still a newbie)
Reaction score
I am starting this thread to document the build of my 77 XS650 cafe racer. Bought this bike about a year ago (my wife passed away shortly after buying it so I had other priorites) and finally getting around to starting on the reconstruction and conversion. Been interested in building a cafe racer since about 1973, finally geting around to doing it :).

Here is what I was starting with, a 77 that has seen its better days with about 37K miles, but a clean title.

What I bought :).

IMG_0059.jpg

Check out the tank graphics.

IMG_0063.jpg

Somewhere along the line, a lowering kit was installed.

IMG_0062.jpg

Project plan.

The following items have been sourced and bought.

NOS XS750 Tank
Cafe seat ( I will intergrate the taillight into the seat).
Triple Clamp (top)
Clip on's
Headlight bucket and fork ears
New bar controls
Radian swingarm.

etc etc etc ...

Engine will be rebuilt, probably into a 750. New bearings, seals, gaskets and probably a crankshaft rebuild if it is needed. Rephase is not planned but open for discussion. Carbs are still an open issue, not sure if I should use the stock 38mm CV carbs or use a 32 or 34 mm Mikuni kit. Open to comments on this one.

Planning a Pameco ignition one of Hughes Handbuilts alternator kits.

Forks will be modified using one of the available kits on the net.
Shocks will probably be Ikon (the new Koni company) for a more retro look but still provide better rear control.

I designed a new solid state rectifier / regulator unit for the bike as well as a solid state flasher unit. All turn indicators and taillight will be LED based. A custom wiring harness will be built. Want all of the electrics under the seat when done. Battery box area to be open.

Front end will be respoked with an 18" wheel and rear will get a new rim and spokes.

Status so far.

The Front end. Mockup to check tank fit.

MP3A2685.jpg

Battery Box removed. What a pain in the butt to remove this thing :).

MP3A2686.jpg

Another shot of the front end. Clips on's were sourced off of ebay. I may end up replacing the actual bars, these seem really light. The mounts are very nice.

MP3A2687.jpg

Still have more grinding to do on the tank mounts before mounting the new rubbers.

MP3A2689.jpg

Still not sure what to do with the loop, remove, replace or.....

MP3A2688.jpg

The next step is complete the removal of the old wiring harness (which is a total mess).

Sorry to hear about the loss of your wife. Hopefully this project will give you something else to think about and put a smile on your face. I like the direction you are heading.

Thanks for the condolences. Been almost a year now, still miss her. But have to keep moving on with life.

This project keeps me busy. Only problem is I only have a few more weeks before it becomes unbearable in the garage to work. I am starting to see my vision in the bike. Love the tinkering with ideas.

Ended up buying a LOT of equipment for this project, MIG welder, Plasma cutter, new compressor and other odds and ends.

Have a LOT of cutting and grinding to do before this is completed!! Plan to spend at least one to two hours per day on the bike. Tonight it is the wiring harness removal.

Then it will be time to fit the tank and mounts. Remove the center stand etc etc.

Do you plan on rear sets? If so what brand? By the way I live across town in Goodyear.
jefft

Rear sets are a yes and I have them already, dont remember the set I bought, but very well built and set me back about $400.00. Ouch... I will check tonight and let you know what brand I bought.

The ones that I bought had all of the required pieces and did not require modifying the original shifter for use. I will have to think about the mounting location for the brake light switch.

Gary

Im excited for this one. If you actually do put in a hour or more a day in, and you work on it rather then drink beer and stare at it (it happens! haha) you will find the build goes really quick!

Loving the top triple, where is it from?

Its a shame that the epic tank art has to go away :p My tank came with something similar but blue flames rather than orange! Free spirit ftw

Im excited for this one. If you actually do put in a hour or more a day in, and you work on it rather then drink beer and stare at it (it happens! haha) you will find the build goes really quick!

Its a shame that the epic tank art has to go away :p My tank came with something similar but blue flames rather than orange! Free spirit ftw

The top clamp was sourced from a guy here on the XS650 forum or over at Do the Ton.
Been too long ago to remember. Thats the problem with this project, I bought mos to the parts in February and March of last year and now it is all but a foggy memory.

No beer drinking, off of my diet. After the wife passed I have been on a self imposed diet, have taken off 80 pounds todate. Still have about 30 to go. :).

I have to balance my construction time between the bike and the amps I am building for customers. As well as my normal daytime gig as a project manager. Too many projects and NO time.

I will attempt to make a resource list as I turn up the parts. A few items, grips, mirrors, grips, brake lever, clutch lever headlight basket etc etc etc were sourced off of ebay.

Today I am searching for an RD400E kickstart lever. So far no luck. Guess I will have to tromp around in the muck at Bobs Motorcycle salvage in Phoenix and see if I can find one.

Last edited:
Got teh wiring harness removed and salvaged parts off of the speedo assembly for the junk drawer. Can never have enough metric acorn nuts and such. No need to take picture of what isn't there :).

Removed the harness, coils, and other odds and ends under the seat.

Tomorrow night I will fit the tank and take a few pictures. Then it will be time to remove the engine.

Gary

I bet it was durgam over on dotheton
Old school speed is his website name
http://oldschoolspeed.com/products/

Since you're hemorrhaging money like a drunken sailor, buy new air filters. The ones in your pics are not a wise choice.

Wow, that tank is sure a beauty! Nice and shiny
I am doing the same tank on my cafe build and found that I need to pound in the underside a little bit too because of it hitting frame.
What tools from harbor freight are you referring to?

Wow, that tank is sure a beauty! Nice and shiny
I am doing the same tank on my cafe build and found that I need to pound in the underside a little bit too because of it hitting frame.
What tools from harbor freight are you referring to?

I am going to look for a large area rounding tool. Shouldn't take too much to smush it in a bit. Also need to take down the area by the mount as there is a hump.

I also think I might have to move the rear mount on the from back about 10 to 15 mm.

Looking good. The tank is a nice one indeed. So is the seat. Not sure if you will like the clip-ons. They have the café style. I like a more upright riding position. The build is moving right along now. :thumbsup:

Looking good. The tank is a nice one indeed. So is the seat. Not sure if you will like the clip-ons. They have the café style. I like a more upright riding position. The build is moving right along now. :thumbsup:

The tank was picked off of Ebay, it was an NOS that had never been on a bike. Was pricey, but only a little more than the beat up ones that got for a mint on Ebay auctions.

I was wrong the seat is a Roccity interceptor, I am going to use the flat portion in the back for the taillight.

Not sure on the clip ons either, but I sure like the look. At 58 will my back be able to take it....

Thought originally that the seat would hang over the top of the frame rails, but looks like it will end up riding even with the top of the frame. And the old loop has to go. I am thinking a hinge on the rear loop that would allow the seat to be tilted up to access the battery and fuses. I am taking a lot of inspriation from Bobber33's cafe he built about a year ago or so.

The tank was picked off of Ebay, it was an NOS that had never been on a bike. Was pricey, but only a little more than the beat up ones that got for a mint on Ebay auctions.

I was wrong the seat is a Roccity interceptor, I am going to use the flat portion in the back for the taillight.

Not sure on the clip ons either, but I sure like the look. At 58 will my back be able to take it....

Thought originally that the seat would hang over the top of the frame rails, but looks like it will end up riding even with the top of the frame. And the old loop has to go. I am thinking a hinge on the rear loop that would allow the seat to be tilted up to access the battery and fuses. I am taking a lot of inspriation from Bobber33's cafe he built about a year ago or so.

Check out dime city cycles - they have tarozzi clip ons with 40mm or 70mm rise on them. Would be easier on the back!

Back