77 Cafe Project

Finished removing the remainder of the unwanted brackets off of the frame.

Attempted to use the Silver and Deming bit to modify the Radian parts. Ended up in failure :), found out after the fact that S&D's are not meant to open holes, only create new holes.. Will take them to a machine shop.

I also solved my rear loop issue by cutting it down about 1" in length, this allows me to mount the seat right at the top of the upper frame tubes.

Next step is to fabricate the plate for under the seat to hold the electronics and get to welding the loose ends.

Still undecided on how to install the mini tach, speedo and ignition switch.

Well not a lot of progress this weekend. Did drop the engine and remove the triple clamp. I will reinstall it with an All Balls roller assembly for the steering head. It had the old ball bearing style and no reason not to swap it out.

Whats left to do.... TOO MUCH :).

1. Finish welding.
2. Get swingarm opened up for the 20mm axle and get the rest of the bits machined.
3. Frame off to powder coat
4. Rebuild engine - Pameco, HHB alternator, new bearings as required and all new seals, o-rings etc.. Top end worked as required. Stage one will be stock 650 bore, 750 kit on another engine when I can score one.
5. Reassemble....
6. Create wiring harness.

HOPE THE HELL IT RUNS :).

Gary,

Im 90% sure I have a gasket kit I can sell you. I am local so you could swing by and pick it up let me know if you need it.

Any progress? I'm look forward to seeing this one finished. :bike:

Some progress. The engine is out of the frame and I started the last cutting and making mounts for the frame.

Things and sources found....

SE500 kickstarter from Ebay - $35.00
Local power coat shop for frame and other bits - ~ 275.00
Chrome Shop for exhaust (if I go wiith Gordons) - ~ 180.00
Machine shop for Radian modifications ~ 120.0

But been taking it easy, I had cataract surgery last week and the doc wants me to take it easy for a few weeks. No bright lights and NO welding / plasma cutting.

Right now I am relaxing in Pismo Beach CA with my girlfriend.

Gary

I have a 77 xs750 that is just about the same color! I'll definately be following this feed for inspiration.

It's looking great!

I have a 77 xs750 that is just about the same color! I'll definately be following this feed for inspiration.

It's looking great!

Thanks much!!. Progress has been slow the last few weeks. Next week the swingarm and bits go to the machine shop for rework.

My garage has been averaging about 109 degrees as of late so a little hot to working on the bike. Hope to get a cooler or something in there to help with the heat.

Gary

Well the weather is starting to get cool enough to restart working on the café project that has been on hold for the summer. Found something else to throw a little time at lol.

1954 Chevy Panel Truck.

MP3A3774.jpg

Yeah, it has a lot of pre 54 parts. Fenders and grill. But they are available and I may change them back to the correct style. 54 is the rarest of the rare in these things and would like that part to look the part lol.

I have sourced the grill, parking lights, fenders and correct chrome bumper. Totals out to just north of $3K. Still had the original 235CID straight 6 that runs very strong. Gets a lot of looks. Enough room to throw the café in the back lol.

Well the weather is starting to get cool enough to restart working on the café project that has been on hold for the summer. Found something else to throw a little time at lol.

1954 Chevy Panel Truck.

MP3A3774.jpg

Wish I could say the same for our weather here in Austin, TX. Still hotter than the devils frying pan. I can do about 20 min max in the garage and that's about it. Can't wait to see the finished build! :thumbsup:

Well after a year and a half in limbo this project is restarting. Moved to a new home, more space bigger garage. So its time to complete the 650.

I will post more as progress is made.

Gary - Owner of the slowest build.

interested in your progress! hows it going?

Well life was going well, Moved from Arizona to Minnesota so the 650 is the only motorcycle project I have left.
Had a mild stroke on my birthday, so that and the MInnesota winter will slow my progress. But I vouw to get it down in the next 12 months. When summer happens again, I will build my shop up in my barn and get to work on the bike on weekends.

Back