77 rear brake won't budge after new shoes

Chadske

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Installed new brake shoes put it back in the hardtail and it won't budge... No chain is on so its not in geaR... I'm using the stock brake anchor if that matters

Just forced the tire real hard it came out of it. I don't understand why it would get stuck like that? Don't want it to happen down the road

If the threaded rod was adjusted out for the worn brake pads and then you install new pads there's going to be an adjustment that needs to be made for the new meat.
I've read in the past to press down on the rear brake pedal when tightening down the axle nut......forget why but it has something to do with setting the brakes. With torque somewhere around seventy plus pounds needed on that rear castle nut, pressing down on the rear brake pedal at the same time creates a new twister game......

When you had it apart for the shoes did you take the acuator shaft out and clean/lube it. I just had the rear wheel of the 81 for chain and sprockets. The brakes have been noisy for awhile now. While the wheel was off I took the shoes off and removed the shaft. Marked the end where the lever on the out side sets so I could get it back on right.
I had to use a bit of persuasion to get it out. Hammer and punch.
Steel wool for cleaning shaft and area that touches the shoes. The hole the shaft goes through.
I just replace the rear wheel bearings on the van so had some fresh wheel bearing grease. A thin coat on the shaft, the area the touches the shoes and cleaned and regreased the felt washer on the out side. The shaft slipped right back in and spun in the hole very easily.
Ah! much better.
Now with reassembly no more noise. With the stiff action of the shaft the shoes dragged a bit making the noise.
Holding the brake as you tighten the axle centers the brake plate and shoes in the drum. This helps the brakes by having both shoes hit the drum at the same time. With them off center one shoe hits before the other.
Having a helper while doing this helps. Or screw the adjuster nut on the rod down enough to do the same thing works, just remember to loosen it back to proper adjustment.
Leo

Back