77 XS650D and XS Charge PMA Install Comments/Questions

Slimbob

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have an almost stock 1977 XS650-D. Almost 47k miles.
Upgrades to electrical systems are:
Halogen Headlight
Pamco Electronic ignition
SS Rec/Reg.

I'm upgrading the Alternator to an XS Charge PMA system from Mikes.

I have everything installed but had difficulty with wiring at first.

The instructions are general and not specific for any model.

I stole the 6 pin connector from the old/original Stator and removed all but the Neutral Switch wire (Blue).
Had to un-loom it. Is that a word?

I removed the 3 yellow wires from the new stator connector and inserted them into the old connector to match up with the other 3 white wires.
My understanding is, it doesn't matter how the 3 wires match up to the 3 rectifier wires. Is this correct?

Now the connection has the Neutral Switch and 3 stator wires and 2 power wires (old brushes/not used anymore) on one (loom) side and the Stator side has just neutral and 3 stator wires.

And the other connector from the regulator goes to + and - of the battery.

I've watched videos (U T) on installing these PMA's and one guy didn't know what to do with all the left over wires.
That's because the stator wires run from the stator into a loom (connector) and then over to the rectifier (connector). If you by pass the loom you have a lot of mess to clean up, or leave, but that could be very confusing.

I guess my questions are:

1. Does my current (New) wiring config sound correct?

2. Along with the six pin connector was a bullet connector with one Yellow wire going to the old stator. What is that wire and is it needed any longer?

Maybe I can post some pictures later if I can get them off my darn phone.

Thank you,
Slimbob

Read more: http://xs650forum.proboards.com/thread/3403/xs-charge-pma-install-on#ixzz5LNx72FaJ

Back