kickstart

inxs

xx
Reaction score
Model differences

- early..XS1,B and some F had a 26 tooth gear and smaller ended shaft..

BBs0MgWkKGrHgoH-DsEjlLl1JwPBKMDFIQg.jpg

early shaft
bc4d_1.jpg

later shaft
Be82KUQBGkKGrHqIOKjoEryZ14zGzBKYyvh.jpg

25T gear

- XS1, B also used a thrust bearing between the seal and the spring guide instead of a washer and had no circlip on the shaft to hold the mechanism in place
- here in europe there were also 3 different kickstart levers and relevant bosses..see below

Fitting the mechanism

- …easier with 3 hands or 2 people

One way

- fit shaft spigot into the case​
- mount the kickstart lever​
- rotate the kick clip into the shaft …don’t slide it in, you will remove the prestressing and you wont be able to successfully get it back​
- hook the spiral spring nose over the case anchor point​
- push on the shaft and rotate the kickstart lever to tension the spiral spring​
- when you reach the point where the kick stop finds its place-KLICK-and the shaft will go fully into position​

Another way
...hattip stefan

- fit the kickstarter, complete with kick clip, in the full kick position, return spiral spring is "at rest"..(pic 1)​
- tie a cable tie to the spring hook and rotate clockwise to tension​

file-2.jpg

- holding the tension, pull the shaft slightly out of the housing without scratching the gasket surface to get the spring hook over the anchor point…keep inward pressure on the complete mechanism so it doesn’t fly apart.. (pic 2)...make sure the stop is to the left of the moulding at 01.00​

file-3.jpg

- fit the hook over the anchor point and push mechanism into place.. (pic 3)​

file-4.jpg

How does it work?

- The gear, early 26 Teeth-later 25 Teeth, which meshes into the gearbox gear, moves along the kickstart shaft on a tight spiral spline…the kick clip prevents the gear from rotating…when the kickstart lever is depressed, the gear slides along the shaft as the shaft rotates, meshes into the gearbox gear and "voila"

an015_02_jpg.jpg

kick clip
bf37_1.jpg

mechanism

- The kickstart stop prevents the shaft from continuing and must be so positioned that the shaft is to the left of a moulding in the case and can rotate about 90° counterclockwise…when the stop is on the wrong side you cant move the kickstart...you can see the moulding in this pic under the spring hook

file-2.jpg

Common problems

- there are several common problems experienced with the kickstart, all manifest themselves with a non-returning kick mechanism or with no kick pressure

- broken hook on the spiral spring, either end…replace...in this pic you can see both ends

ki011_01_jpg.jpg

- broken spiral spring anchor point…file broken base flat, centrepunch, drill 6mm hole about 35mm deep, tap a thread into it, insert and loctite a 50mm bolt-the spring can now hook over this...here you can see the hook fitted over the anchor

file-4.jpg

- worn or broken kick clip-these don’t successfully retension and need to be replaced…usually this causes you to kick through with no pressure…when removing or replacing this clip, don’t pull it out or push it into the groove or you will lose the pretension…come in from the side, locate one side then the other..here clip fitted

8568_1.jpg

- clip and starter holders found in sump...make sure they are properly fitted

file-1.jpg

Ball bearing stuck

Not much you can do here except use a lathe...

- turn the boss until its cylindrical ( - 0,5mm).

- open the lever hole (+0,5mm)

- fabricate a Steel or Bronze bush with ~1mm walls, press over the boss and bore the bearing hole

file.jpg

There are, i think, 3 different kickstart levers…

- the straight version, commonly found on american models and early XS1-XS2..when turned in it’s vertical and could theoretically be relocated on the spline so that it sits in front of the sidecover instead of the right hand carb

2841_1.jpg

you see these too
cd27_1-1.jpg

- the early european version from TXA-XSE, heavier than the later version, has a slight angle half way between the boss and the kick rubber..it must sit so the rubber is parallel to the right hand carb or it contacts the sidecover

469e_1.jpg

- more or less the same as #2 except it’s thinner and lighter, from XS-SE 79 on… when folded in the rubber is inclined toward the right hand carb holder

- the 18mm boss repair kit for the 79 and earlier

kickrepsatzalt_001_jpg.jpg

- the 15mm boss repair kit for 80 on

kickrepsatzneu_001_jpg.jpg

LotImg24207.jpg

- the SR500 kickstart also fits the XS spline, and is shorter-about 2cm, and much more angled-gives better clearance for aftermarket pipes and rear sets etc

img1608p.jpg

img1611lth.jpg

- you can shorten the originals if you wish, better to remove a section as high as possible, bore both faces min 25mm and press fit a hard material (C60, C45)…shieldgas weld and smooth so that there is no notch effect

- there are shorter yamaha kickstarters available...1JN-15610-00…length-175mm cf original-210mm

- removing the kickstart altogether?

file-5.jpg

Parts list

Attachments

• XS650 Kickstart Parts II.pdf
    8 KB · Views: 963
Last edited:
- here are parts diagrams and parts number lists for the relevant models...

Attachments

• XS650 Kickstart XS1.pdf
    50.1 KB · Views: 821
  • XS650 Kickstart SE 79.pdf
    34.9 KB · Views: 971
  • XS650 Kickstart TXA nrs.pdf
    52.6 KB · Views: 616
  • XS650 Kickstart TXA.pdf
    50.8 KB · Views: 657
  • XS650 Kickstart XS1 nrs2.pdf
    41.9 KB · Views: 649
  • XS650 Kickstart XS1 nrs.pdf
    76.7 KB · Views: 688
- ingo had a problem...believed he could defy newton...the results,

- broken spring boss

file-6.jpg

- bent spring hook

file-7.jpg

file-8.jpg

- the solution..new kickstarter mechanism, 6mm x 25mm screw, 12mm x 6mm hole, loctite...screw threaded at least 8mm deep in loctite

file-9.jpg

I replaced the kick clip and am still having the same spongy pedal issue, the gears all looked fine, what else could it be?

Adjust the clutch maybe?

At one point I after I had adjusted my valves it seemed like the bike had no compression when I kicked it. After much handwringing on 650rider a member suggested it and I realized it was because the clutch was not hooking up to the motor cold. Some adjustment fixed that issue.:thumbsup:

I put one of the clutch pushrods in backwards(actually, the 1978 parts diagram on biker.net is wrong) after my last rebuild. Anyway, the little tapered end of the short clutch pushrod goes in the clutch cable mechanism. If it's not the tapered end, it holds the clutch out slightly causing it to slip and the kick starter to fail as well.

after all that engine work all i needed to do was adjust the clutch a bit at the lever. at least i know my kick clip is new lol

Ah well at least it is fixed. I noticed last night that my newly rebuilt caliper on the front has been leaking I THINK at the banjo bolt or the speed bleeder and ruined the new paint I put on it. So I'll have to tear it down AGAIN.

thats my next project, braided rear brake line should be here today, need to rebuild the rear caliper, cant seem to get it off though :(

inxs, by saying that you shouldn't "slide" the kick clip in what do you mean by that? Do you mean actually rotating the clip on the shaft itself? I recently replaced my friction plates and had the kickstart shaft come out on me as a result of taking the cover off and it has been such a pain in the a** trying to get back to working order. It seems like it should be a once and done thing but I can't for the life of me make it work. Everything looks fine and the clutch is adjusted, any idea what's going on here? It kicks through but doesn't turn the engine over each time and returns slow. Could anyone provided dertailed step by step instructions on how to reinstall this thing? The kick start is my only way to start the bike so it's a pretty big deal, help! :banghead:

Start at the top of this thread. Scoll down, just after the pics is "Fitting the mechanism" Read it, read it, read it.

Don't slide the clip on just means don't press it on in a way that will excessively stretch it out. Clip one side in, then slip the other side over the lip.

ok so i rebuilt my bike and not my motor.i have a 83 650xs, i put my motor on the ground for about 2 months. After i finished adding springer front end and powdercoating i installed the same motor back on.i have the bike in neutral but no compression with the kickstart anymore. i have been using a wire from my starter to positive side of battery to turn over. and still am getting no nspark to my coil.i dont know whats bwrong anyone near fort bragg......

inxs you are GOD!!!! I fought with the kick starter for hours then I saw your trick with the cable tie!!!! Worked perfect first time!!!! THANKS!!!!!

Posted via Mobile

How do I find out which kicker shaft I need? I have no idea what year the motor it that I got but got its Vin on the motor still. sorry this all might be sound like stupid questions, but I just bought my first XS650 project yesterday, but pretty good at doing this stuff just used to my Harley's.

thanks TONYC but no idea even know were to start with find the year with the engine numbers. I AM PRETTY DUMB ...lol
thanks for the help

Back