all-xs650-front-axles-with-ruler-jpg.57150

In your pic you can also see the rotor offset adjusting nut behind the axle nut used only on the 72.
It's kinda weird that Yamaha didn't just grab a honda front disk brake and reverse engineer it.

So I found a front hub for sale. Seller doesn' know the year. I' told the front axle's diameter is 17mm, and it' 25mm in length. 72 as well?

Attachments

• IMG_2201.JPG
    IMG_2201.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_2200.JPG
    IMG_2200.JPG
    241 KB · Views: 186
Name that year hub?! LOL

Attachments

• ad_1522546179379.jpg
    ad_1522546179379.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 228
  • ad_1522546177453.jpg
    ad_1522546177453.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 219
  • ad_1522546175356.jpg
    ad_1522546175356.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 204
  • ad_1522546173128.jpg
    ad_1522546173128.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 227
Some smaller yamahas use a very similar hub that's narrower flange to flange. but pictured hub is NOT a 1972 XS2 (xs650) hub

So much info on here, and I'm still confused a tad.
I have a 78' with front and rear disk brakes, with mag's. 19" front and 16" rear. I'm wanting to switch to spokes.
Easy enough fix for the rear. Find a spoke rear drum, and if able get the whole swing arm assembly. Question, what years will fit, 77" and up?!?
If I can only find a 77" and up read spoke drum, will the sprocket align? Will I have to make/mill spacers?
As for the front, from what I have read. The easiest would be to find a 77" and up spoke wheel with disk, and it should work, is this correct?
And if i go lower than a 77" hub/wheel it will require what?

Hi '_brat,
we did that on my son's '80 Special.
Any '73 [edit, was '74] or newer front will drop right in.
'76 or older will need a one-piece brake disk to replace it's 2-piece brake disk because their offsets are different.
'72 disk [edit, was '73] fronts are their own thing and just won't work with different year forks.
Any year drum rear will fit in your swingarm, spacers and all.
Note that all the good-looking rear drum wire wheels have 18" rims but you can certainly
lace a different diameter rim onto it's hub.
You'll have to weld a second lug to your swingarm to suit the drum rear's different torque stay and get a complete
drum rear brake operating assembly to replace the rear disk set-up. The only common part is the pedal.
We gave up on making the rear brake light switch work and wish you better fortune.
And yeah, carefully save all the rear disk parts so you can swap back to the artillery wheels if you choose to.
[edit:-] IMHO the deep-groove aluminum-rim wheels are the best looking.

Last edited:
Sorry Fred, Have to disagree on the 73 Hub. 73 Rim was chrome and that changed to alloy w profile style rims in 74................73 hub was retained and the same used on all front 36 spoke wheels till the 82 gazillion spoke wheel

Hub sold to me as an XS650 front hub. Same size axle speedo, just 6 1/2 mm narrow. Could be used by adding 3mm spacers on each side.
DSCF7836 copy 1a Text.jpgClipboard.jpg DSCF7908 copy 1a text.jpg

Fred change 73 to 72 and you are golden. Many parts fiches have the wrong diagrams for the 73 hub showing 72 parts.

Hi '_brat,
Any '74 or newer front will drop right in.
'76 or older will need a one-piece brake disk to replace it's 2-piece brake disk because their offsets are different.
'73 fronts are their own thing and just won't work with different year forks.
Note that all the good-looking rear drum wire wheels have 18" rims but you can certainly
You'll have to weld a second lug to your swingarm to suit the drum rear's different torque stay and get a complete
drum rear brake operating assembly to replace the rear disk set-up. The only common part is the pedal.
We gave up on making the rear brake light switch work and wish you better fortune.
And yeah, carefully save all the rear disk parts so you can swap back to the artillery wheels if you choose to.

Swing arm swap for the rear seems easiest. I like the idea/option of 18" rear.
I'm tracking, keep the disks with the respective calipers.

Sorry Fred, Have to disagree on the 73 Hub. 73 Rim was chrome and that changed to alloy w profile style rims in 74................73 hub was retained and the same used on all front 36 spoke wheels till the 82 gazillion spoke wheel

Hub sold to me as an XS650 front hub. Same size axle speedo, just 6 1/2 mm narrow. Could be used by adding 3mm spacers on each side.
View attachment 116082View attachment 116083 View attachment 116084

What's your take on the pics I posted of the hub earlier?

That is the proper bolt-on disc type you're after but I can't tell from the pics if it's a 650 one or the narrower 360/400/500 type. The guy (or you) will have to measure it across the spoke flanges. Outside to outside should be about 56mm. The "wrong" smaller hubs would be less between the outsides of the flanges, as shown in Skull's pics.

Hi '_brat,
Any '74 or newer front will drop right in.
'73 fronts are their own thing and just won't work with different year forks.
http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/brake-pivot-for-forward-control-linkage.html
would this fix the issue?

That is the proper bolt-on disc type you're after but I can't tell from the pics if it's a 650 one or the narrower 360/400/500 type. The guy (or you) will have to measure it across the spoke flanges. Outside to outside should be about 56mm. The "wrong" smaller hubs would be less between the outsides of the flanges, as shown in Skull's pics.

This is what the seller has sent me.

Flange c-c is 51mm
Flange diameter is 121mm

360 hub then?

I have no idea. I don't know what he means by "c-c".

OK, but center to center of what ???? The measurement he gave you is of no use and meaningless without that info. This is the measurement you need to verify, outside of one spoke flange to the outside of the other .....

full

OK, but center to center of what ???? The measurement he gave you is of no use and meaningless without that info. This is the measurement you need to verify, outside of one spoke flange to the outside of the other .....

full

Read again. He said flange from center to center. I know what he means

Hi '_brat,
if you are installing forward controls you'll need something like that to operate a drum rear brake
and I reckon there's way more than $59's-worth of hassle in scratch-building one.
OTOH if you are keeping the stock control positions the easiest way is to swap in the stock drum brake
operating parts because they will all fit into your frame with no hassle at all.

Back