Gary, you have C-C and inside to inside of the flanges both at 48mm? That can't be right, can it? I did re-check a hub and 51 to 52 does seem about right for C-C on the flanges, although I have no clue why someone would measure them that way, it's hard, lol. Also, outside to outside varies a bit, 55 to 56mm, probably due to casting flaws or tolerances.

oh crap, will change it, yeah 51 C to C, yes the spoke flanges are "cleaned up" castings not machined surfaces variations are normal.

Last edited:
Yes, that 121mm does look like the spoke hole circle diameter. Boy, that guy has some strange ideas about measuring stuff, lol. Wonder what he'd tell you if you asked him his shirt or pants size, lol.

Yes, that 121mm does look like the spoke hole circle diameter. Boy, that guy has some strange ideas about measuring stuff, lol. Wonder what he'd tell you if you asked him his shirt or pants size, lol.

the only measurement differences between the narrower hub, (Pics posted in post # 28), and the XS650 hub is the overall width, (including spacer and speed o drive), and the distance between the hub flanges. All other measurements are the same. for all intents and purposes the smaller hub will lace up a 36spoke 19' rim and takes XS650 rotors.

Center to center. to get a center line measurement there is 3 ways to do it.......
.if things are equal, flange thickness, (1/2 a mill won't make a difference here)............

measure...... over and under, from the outside of one side to the inside of the other = Center to center

under and over, same difference except measuring from inside of one side to the outside of the other. = Center to center.

Do a true mark center to center measurement, measuring from the center of one flange to the center of the other flange

There is no other way to do, sorry 5T our statement is arrogant dismissive and judgmental..................

"
the only measurement differences between the narrower hub, (Pics posted in post # 28), and the XS650 hub is the overall width, (including spacer and speed o drive), and the distance between the hub flanges. All other measurements are the same. for all intents and purposes the smaller hub will lace up a 36spoke 19' rim and takes XS650 rotors.
Skull I don't think that's quite true, the real problem with those narrow hubs is that the rotor flange to rotor flange and overall widths are narrower creating difficult fit, caliper centering and spacer problems. But it doesn't matter to the OP he seems to have a correct XS650 hub sourced.

Yes your right. the hub would be off center if the rotor was set to the caliper. A 3mm spacer behind the rotor and behind, or however it is decided how to fit it, the spacer on the rotor side and a 3 mm spacer on the speed o drive side should solve the problems addressed................................this info is not relevant to the Op as stated, his hub looks to be the right XS650 hub

I just wanted to follow up this with a big thanks on you guys teaching me how to spot the different years.

Last night the KIJIJI gods smiled upon me. I found a front wheel that fots for 50.00 local. I'm really hoping the tire is good as it looks perfect.

Now the hunt for a swing arm and wheel for a spoke rear!

Cheers

Attachments

• 20180430_231517.jpg
    20180430_231517.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 226
  • 20180430_230902.jpg
    20180430_230902.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 215
I have a brim swing arm from a 77". Will it fit my 78"?

Shouldn't it be as simple as measure both width (pivot point) to see if they match?

Yes all swing arms from 74-83 interchange ........74-79 Standard and 78-79bSpecials have a Back block that bolts through the back on the Axle slot. This was so the axle and wheel could be removed in one piece from the rear of the swing-arm with out removing the Exhausts. ..........Later Special Swig-arms, 80-83, have a enclosed axle slot so the axle has to be removed from the side before the wheel can be removed. Exhausts are shorter on the 80-83's, so they don't need to be removed to get the axle out

Yes all swing arms from 74-83 interchange ........74-79 Standard and 78-79bSpecials have a Back block that bolts through the back on the Axle slot. This was so the axle and wheel could be removed in one piece from the rear of the swing-arm with out removing the Exhausts. ..........Later Special Swig-arms, 80-83, have a enclosed axle slot so the axle has to be removed from the side before the wheel can be removed. Exhausts are shorter on the 80-83's, so they don't need to be removed to get the axle out

Perfect! Thanks for the info. I'm just trying to make sure I get all the brake linkage with it!

there are brake mount differences between drum and disk model swing arms. Not a big deal though, cut off the bracket and weld it on the other side.

Probably find an extra bracket, (that carries the brake hose), on the top of the swing-arm that isn't in the file i sent you. Can be seen in this pic, (from the Storm Build),
Bike on its wheels 2.jpg

Found the front tire, swing arm, and rear tire! The PO welded 2 of the bolts to the sprocket (wtf). Removed with no issues, new sprocket and bolts are on and looks great.

Now looking for a break pivot shaft, and linkage lol!

Attachments

• 20180506_160024.jpg
    20180506_160024.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 187
  • 20180506_160052.jpg
    20180506_160052.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 221
  • 20180506_135754.jpg
    20180506_135754.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 237
all-xs650-front-axles-with-ruler-jpg.57150

In your pic you can also see the rotor offset adjusting nut behind the axle nut used only on the 72.
It's kinda weird that Yamaha didn't just grab a honda front disk brake and reverse engineer it.

Sorry to dig this old post up boys but it looks like I may be swapping my 400 for a 2nd and 3rd 650.

One 1980, other 78 or 79. So my question is. What is the grouping for front wheel compatabilities? Is this picture on the axles correct? (What years of front hubs fit 1980)

Yes I'm well aware (thanks to you guys) on keeping disk and calipers together!
Cheers

There are front hubs from other Yamaha's of this vintage that are false friends, they look the same, but are narrower in several critical dimensions. Short version; 650cc and up shared hub dimensions, the smaller bike hubs are narrower.

Back