78 XS650 E Not starting?

tdub78

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've picked myself up a 78 XS650 as a half-finished project, dual front disk brakes, solid alloy wheels - otherwise pretty stock. I've had a fair few bikes but this ones the first thats older than me - looking for something simpler and a world away from the other Japanese 4's I've had.

It was not running when I got it - previous owner assured me that all it needed was to have all the electric connections plugged back in to get it running again - which I've done but still no luck on getting it to fire up.

Battery is charged, plugs seem to be sparking, fuel is running but wont start up on kick. I've been left scratching my head.

Planning on getting it running again first and then look at clip-ons, new headlight, dual rear tail light and new shocks to clean it up and get it looking like it should.

Looking forward to getting it running and getting her back on the road!

Attachments

• IMG_0884_2.jpg
    IMG_0884_2.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 237
Nice! I like the style. I like the solid wheels, they would solve the problem with the kamikaze squirrels and other small critters that attempt to jump between the spokes and the front forks whilst driving down the road.

make sure your timing is on the right stroke, top set of points fires right cylinder, left side is bottom set, check to make sure valves are completly closed on which ever cylinder you check(compression stroke) when points/plug fires on that side

Attachments

• timing_127.JPG
    timing_127.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
There's a great thread in the "tech" section under "maintenance" "bike won't start" or something. Covers all the stuff to check.
One thing I have learned is to never trust the PO. "Oh, it only needs..." Well then if it's easy, why didn't they fix it? It's really fun to actually ask them that.

on the other side of the coin if a buyer wants tech advice he can pay for it. I figure you are big enough to go looking you better be smart enough to know what your are buying.

Yeah I'd asked all the questions of the PO and taken it all with a grain of salt - but the engines been rebuilt (seen receipts) and it was in great shape other wise for a great price - so hard to refuse even it wasnt running.

I'm looking for tech advice as I'm new to the custom game - I've ridden for years but looking for a greater knowledge and connection to what I'm riding than what I've had to the late model 4/2's I've ridden before.

Today I checked the timing and fuel again - but still no luck - next step I'll probably get some workshop advice.

thanks Jayel for the advice - I've trawled the forums pretty heavily already.

Back