78 xs659

CHRIS WALSTRUM

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Ok I've gone through this bike a million times and can't figure it out. Ok I did the VR-115 regulator mod on my 78 and damn thing got hot and melted what would cause my charging voltage to be varried as in it jumps around.... checked the rotor ohms are right on the money, put in new exciter brushes, it is charging just varied but after a while the battery runs dead and the battery is good put it on a load tester and showed good just needed charged.
The charging voltage is varied and has been since I blew a hole in the #2piston. Between 2.5v-11.5v, when I installed the VR115 regulator it charged fine but started getting really hot . I'm about to pull my hair out please help

Hi Chris: There is tons of expertise on this forum - particularly on charging system problems - but the reason that nobody replied is because your thread title was not descriptive.

If I were you, I would have called it something like: Charging system problem - 78 XS650 - Advice?

A title like that would let everyone know what the issue is - and it would attract the attention of the folks who could most effectively help you.

Back