79 chrome rear fender for an 82 xs650 special 2

Richardlebowski

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I hate my black rear fender. I found a 79 chrome rear fender that is pristine. Is it interchangeable? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I hate my black rear fender. I found a 79 chrome rear fender that is pristine. Is it interchangeable? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Richard,
I guess I'm just like you, reduced to pondering Skull's photos and pondering.
I'd say if you hate black paint to the extent of buying a chrome fender, go for it anyway.
If it ain't a straight bolt-up it'll most likely only need some new holes drilled in it.
And perhaps get the tail light that comes with the chrome fender, Skull's photos show some differences in the tail light shapes and mounting positions.

78SE/79SF Chrome fenders have a different Tail-light setup to the 80 and later. It is mounted on the rear of the fender where the number plate light is on the 80 and later models, like yours

78SE/79SF taillight has 4 mounting bolts compared to the 3 bolts on the 80 and later number-plate light.

I have looked at swapping and the hole differences make it difficult. The 78/79 guard has extra bracing around the base to accommodate the extra weight and the 4 bots. .........Warning when buying a 78/79 Rear guard.............They do have a tendency to crack in that area and it can be hard to see.

Fred.............. Click onto the link to my album and run the courser over the pics, or click on the pics, i have written the differences between the models, mainly on the Specials. This will help.

Thread resurrection time :).
I also have an '82 and also hate the black rear mudguard/fender and want to replace it with a chrome one. Given that I'll be using a Lucas-style rear light unit
20200102_204415.jpg
I don't care about existing holes and will need to drill new ones. So, taking in Skull's comments, is it true to say ANY year's chrome rear mudguard would fit my bike? So all I need to do is find the one in the best condition?

Well with a good drill bit and maybe an angle grinder anything is possible. Just jerking your chain, but I agree with what skull's information. I modified my stock fenders and the rear I had to drill new holes to mount it and also engineered a bracket to hold it up in a good position. I think the only issue you may run into is the mounting tabs might have to be grinded off if you keep the original length from a different year model.

Thread resurrection time :).
I also have an '82 and also hate the black rear mudguard/fender and want to replace it with a chrome one. Given that I'll be using a Lucas-style rear light unit
View attachment 158330
I don't care about existing holes and will need to drill new ones. So, taking in Skull's comments, is it true to say ANY year's chrome rear mudguard would fit my bike? So all I need to do is find the one in the best condition?
Shipping to Chippenham might be a bit spendy, but I've got about a half dozen for you to choose from. PM me if you're interested.

Be aware that even though the mounts are the same, besides the tail light mount hole differences there is also a difference in length between a Special and Standard rear fender. The Standard fender is longer, the Special fender shorter and more "cropped", probably for a more custom or chopper look .....

dMpPUGh.jpg

obwmmHz.jpg

Thanks, 5twins, but I think that the licence plate will hide any extra length if I end up with a Standard one.
20200118_181828.jpg
As it is, it hides a multitude of holes from previous tail light units!

'80, '81 and '83 with the lift off style seat have the three mounting holes for the license lamp, the brake light being mounted on the grab rail. Any of these will work and in fact two of the three mounting holes for the license lamp will be an almost perfect spacing for the Lucas style repop, just need to drill for the single top hole. Find a rear fender with the three mounting holes, as opposed to four.......how I roll.

Back