79 Fuse Diagram

MurphDog

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm about to go pick up a blade style fuse holder for my 79 Special. The stock fuse box is in terrible condition, it's not labeled, and all of the tabs are broken so wires are just hanging all around it. I was wondering if somebody could help me out with a picture or diagram so I know if I need a 4, 5, or 6 slot fuse holder, which wire is going to what, and what amp fuse to use. Thanks a lot guys.

Try searching wiring. Its one of the easiest things to find on this site is wiring diagrams.

Posted via Mobile

Thanks for the response. I tried that before I posted, but I really couldn't find anything for a 79 that showed me what I needed. Nothing really focused on the fuse block, it was more along the lines of this is how you wire your bike and a couple wires running into a big black square with the words fuse box in the middle. I also searched for fuse box swaps, but couldn't find any specific details.

four fuses this is how a 81 is set up you'll need to figure out your wiring to match up

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    10.3 KB · Views: 1,323
Understanding the fuse set-up on the Special model takes a bit of study. Power from the battery runs through a main 20A fuse to the ignition switch. Switched power then runs back from there to the fuse box again. This switched power feed is split 3 times, each split fused (10A), and run to the components .....

050OLGl.jpg

Last edited:
Some folks use individual fuses holders. Using 5twins diagram just hook a fuse holder between each color matching set of wires.
Red to red, Red/yellow to red/yellow and so on.
I get my fuse holders at Radio Shack. A bit cheaper than most places and have a cover.

On my '81 I tied the headlight and signal light circuits together on the same fuse and moved the main 20 Amp fuse back under the right side air filter cover where it used to be so I was left with just 2 fuses under the seat. Lights and ignition.

But, I also added a fuse in the blue wire going to the tail light because the taillight is one of the most common sources for a short and there is not a separate fuse for the tail light in the stock wiring, so when you get a short in the taillight, the main fuse blows and the whole bike shuts down.

The blue tail light wire comes right from the ignition switch, so put the fuse in the headlight bowl.

Ack , No Jimmy..... the headlight is way too hard to open up , put it under the seat where the other fuses are !
JMHO ...LOL
Bob........

Seven year old thread but sometimes synchronicity occurs.
Fusing the blue wire for the tail light is a grand idea. Just the other day I was twenty miles from home visiting a friend. He had gifted me some woodworking tools which I strapped down hard to the back of my seat. Leaving, I got about a half mile away when the bike died. 90 plus degrees out, rolling hills, no homes, no phone and no tools.
Unstrapped the tools, lifted the seat and checked the fuse panel. Main fuse blown. Put the spare in. Started, put her in gear and died. Checked the fuse panel and main fuse blown. Checked the wiring. Some loose to the rear that could have pinched but nothing obvious. Moved one of the other fuses to the main fuse slot, as I had no spares. Key on, fuse blows. Now I'm down two fuses and still not running. Checked around again for any possible shorts. Moved some connectors around under the seat until I was satisfied that the problem had to have gone away, yeah, and then figure how to re-fuse with no fuses and no foil to wrap the bad ones.

This fuse panel is an aftermarket for the glass fuses.
I noticed that the fuse clips could be slid out of the plastic holder, so I slid two of them out from circuits that hadn't blown, turned the clips upside down and inserted them into their opposite clip. Main fuse was now powered with a 10 amp fuse and two circuits were direct wired. Here we go, kicked her over, put her in gear and still running..........home, James!

Last edited:
^In mine, at least, the taillight wires are easy to unplug from the harness. So if the main fuse blows and none of the others blow there's some chance that would get you home. Yama apparently did not want to turn off your taillight without letting you know by turning off your bike. Sep. fuse on tallight is a good idea, I do believe...

But from the same post as that, fusing your headlight and turn signals together is a terrible idea. I want as few things as possible turning off my headlight, especially at night!!

Interesting to hear NJ1639's experience. As expected, Pamcopete's comments from 7 years ago are still important today!!! I have just returned from buying an inline fuse holder to protect my taillight wiring.

Yes protection of a short in the tail light is a good idea. I guess I mentioned that in the other current thread on fusing. Its been on my back burner for quite a few years, but never got around to it. Well today, I just put "adding a fuse to my tail light wiring" on my bikes todo list......................right at the top of my list. Put it as close to the ignition switch as possible, to protect all of the wiring.
Yes, Pamcopete thinks "outside the box"............................I've learned lots from Pete.

Back