79 Special Airbox replacement

pckopp

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I just got a 79 Special as a new project. The original airbox has been removed and pod filters installed. I would like to take it back to original. I found an airbox on ebay but it is plastic and not at all shaped like the airbox on my 78 Special. Did they change them or do I need to keep looking?

Here is what I have:
IMAG1124.jpg

IMAG1132.jpg

Here is what I found on ebay:
plastic_airbox.jpg

Thanks!

Well, all I can say is the air boxes on my '79 SF are metal with a rubber boot between the halves.

The air boxes that came off my '80 parts bike are plastic just like the ones you show. I never tried to put them on so can't say if they'd fit or not.

Well, all I can say is the air boxes on my '79 SF are metal with a rubber boot between the halves.

The air boxes that came off my '80 parts bike are plastic just like the ones you show. I never tried to put them on so can't say if they'd fit or not.

Thank you!

I will continue to look for the metal ones. Found a couple but boy are they in rough shape.

That one is the later assembly for the BS34 carbs. You don't want that. You want the all metal assembly like on your '78. I think '74 to '79 were what you need, but '76 to '79 would probably work best.

With all the talk of how airboxes work better than pods, I thought I might like to try them. My original set-up was trashed so I went directly to pods. I ran across this set for $30 on eBay. They looked to be complete and in good shape, but what really drew me to them was what was peeking out from inside .....

Yep, those are genuine K&N replacement filter elements, about $80 a pair. This was a case of an eBay seller's ignorance working in my favor .....

AirboxKampNs3.jpg

AirboxKampNs4.jpg

Hey pckopp,

I was at Bent bike about 2 weeks ago, and saw a pair of metal airboxes for an XS... not sure if you've been up there, but it's a bit of a jungle to find parts..I didn't need them, but remember thinking I should have bought them while I had them in my hands.

At any rate, I couldn't tell you where in the piles they were, I was looking at the back end of the Yamaha isle but I doubt anyone has picked them up...if you have a few hours, and don't mind getting dirty, I bet you could find them again.

I have the K&N filters in the airbox on my 79 and they work great IMO. Did it have the springs too? Those boogers can be hard to find. I have a set generously sent to me by a member here. I had neoprene foam behind them to hold them up tight and it worked, but the springs are "proper"

Yes 5twins, Klein tools are top rated industrial tools. They are the standard for the telecom industry. I still use my Klein needle nose pliers, wire strippers, and diagonal cutters, that I first used about 48 years ago, when I worked in that industry.

I have a few questions about replacing air boxes on my 1980 xs650 special. First I see on this thread that someone believes that the airboxes work better than the pod filters. I'm planning on switching to pod filters and a 2 into 1 exhaust. I've already purchased the new jets and plan on tuning the carbs accordingly. It's seems to me that a more direct and less restrictive airflow would work better as long as I re-jet and tune for proper Performance Should I switch to the pod filters or leave the airboxes as they are? My next question is about the breather tube that comes from the top of the engine near the valves and cams, it splits into a T then connects to the bottom of the airboxes. If I make the switch to pod filters what do I do with this line? It seems like it would work as a vacuum of some sort and I'm unsure what to do if I switch to the pod filters. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 239
I have a few questions about replacing air boxes on my 1980 xs650 special. First I see on this thread that someone believes that the airboxes work better than the pod filters. I'm planning on switching to pod filters and a 2 into 1 exhaust. I've already purchased the new jets and plan on tuning the carbs accordingly. It's seems to me that a more direct and less restrictive airflow would work better as long as I re-jet and tune for proper Performance Should I switch to the pod filters or leave the airboxes as they are? My next question is about the breather tube that comes from the top of the engine near the valves and cams, it splits into a T then connects to the bottom of the airboxes. If I make the switch to pod filters what do I do with this line? It seems like it would work as a vacuum of some sort and I'm unsure what to do if I switch to the pod filters. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!!

I know its hard to believe, but stock air boxes work quite well. Just because everyone installs pod filters, doesn't mean you should do it as well. Why not be a rebel, go against the crowd, and use air boxes.

Try driving the bike with air boxes, and the exhaust of your choice, for several months, and see how you like it. Try using the stock jets and maybe you won't have to change jet sizes at all. If it does not work out, then switch over to pods.

The crankcase ventilation hose works great when connected to the air box. Any oil mist present is drawn into the cylinders. With pods, the hose can be left open to atmosphere (can be directed down toward the chain to add lubrication), or some install a check valve to help maintain the crankcase at a slightly negative pressure (many threads about this).

Thank you guys, all the info was great.. I think I'm gonna dremal a third vent hole like the thread you showed me. Looks super easy to do and makes sense with allowing more air flow into the filters. Also the info on the breather tube was helpful the added valve seems like the way to go if I switch to pods. Thanks guys

Back