'79 Special Cafe Build Project Begins (20 years late?)

Great looker!

Could also inspect the neutral detent plunger and spring, neutral indicator switch...
Ide do the same. spring may have lost its springy-ness. Stretch it out just a little, then if that helps, find a new one.
Yep, come on over for a pit stop. only a few miles from hwy 3 on agate road, at deer creek chevron.

Ide do the same. spring may have lost its springy-ness. Stretch it out just a little, then if that helps, find a new one.
Yep, come on over for a pit stop. only a few miles from hwy 3 on agate road, at deer creek chevron.

Sounds like a plan!

I really have to get online more often! I'm also working at reforming a 79 Special into a cafe bike. You have shown me it is possible if you persevere, so a big thank you. Being a Ducati rider for 35 years, your paint scheme reminds me of the bevel head 900SS. Your bike is beautiful, well thought out, and a project to take pride in. I am thinking of upgrading my front brakes to a set of Brembos from my 02 Monster. Of course, I may set the stock forks to flexing, which means...

I really have to get online more often! I'm also working at reforming a 79 Special into a cafe bike. You have shown me it is possible if you persevere, so a big thank you. Being a Ducati rider for 35 years, your paint scheme reminds me of the bevel head 900SS. Your bike is beautiful, well thought out, and a project to take pride in. I am thinking of upgrading my front brakes to a set of Brembos from my 02 Monster. Of course, I may set the stock forks to flexing, which means...

Thanks!

Post of some pics of your build... I've found that posting kept me motivated to keep going.

Brassneck, read through the thread and actually found the original color of the tank quite nice, allso think the new color looks cool, so either would have worked out in my book. Bike looks great, nice build. Do you let your boys get in the garage with you as mini me assistants?

Brassneck, read through the thread and actually found the original color of the tank quite nice, allso think the new color looks cool, so either would have worked out in my book. Bike looks great, nice build. Do you let your boys get in the garage with you as mini me assistants?

Thanks vsop, I didn't mind the red tank either...but my daughter really hated it, and I've always liked the black/gold look...so it's a win/win.

And yes, they were my extra hands whenever I got the opportunity to drag them into the garage. Lol

Nice bike! I like where youre going with this bike, it looks badass yet subtle, the pinstripe idea on the headlight was definitely genius.

What type of rear sets are those?

Nice bike! I like where youre going with this bike, it looks badass yet subtle, the pinstripe idea on the headlight was definitely genius.

What type of rear sets are those?

Thanks, I appreciate the comments.

The rearsets are from Vintageriders on this forum...i really like them, and they're bolt on. Here's a link to his ad:
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39645

Brassneck,
I have always thought you had such a classy looking bike. You built it before I joined the forum and I don’t know why I never thought to look to see if you did a build thread, that is until another member asked about it. I just finished reading it and I just wanted to say ( belatedly ) what a nice job you did with the whole design. I like the way you did it in phases, so you could ride the bike as you went along, I liked the way you really put thought into the look as a whole and the way you wanted to protect the original aspects of the bike. Even the original exhausts looks right on your design.
I’m a little late to the party, but we’ll done!

Brassneck,
I have always thought you had such a classy looking bike. You built it before I joined the forum and I don’t know why I never thought to look to see if you did a build thread, that is until another member asked about it. I just finished reading it and I just wanted to say ( belatedly ) what a nice job you did with the whole design. I like the way you did it in phases, so you could ride the bike as you went along, I liked the way you really put thought into the look as a whole and the way you wanted to protect the original aspects of the bike. Even the original exhausts looks right on your design.
I’m a little late to the party, but we’ll done!
Thanks Mailman! Much appreciated, and glad you like it.

I'm currently working on the exhaust as we speak... as well as likely swapping out carbs for some round slides. Updated Pics to come. :)

Yup, I’m with Mailman and your other fans on the XS650 Forum, Brassneck.

I had the opportunity to actually see and sit on this beautiful motorcycle while I was on a business trip to Seattle a couple of years ago - and truly is as nicely done as shown in the photos. This bike is my inspiration and as soon as I am back two fully functional knees, my bike is going to have a similar treatment.

Please keep your thread going my friend - I’ll be following closely! :popcorn:

Pete

Just read the thread. That is one fine looking well put together bike. Not red and white but I love the colors.

Thanks!

I'm getting ready to change out the exhaust (finally)...so I'll post up a few pics and maybe a video when that gets done. It's only been 3 yrs since I said I'd address the exhaust. I guess life has a way getting in the way of these things sometimes. :)

With the holidays and some time off, I finally got around to installing some VM34's as well as some new pipes/exhaust. I've been meaning to switch out the exhaust for a few years now...but just hadn't felt the drive to do the swap/mess with carbs/jets, etc...and if I'm honest with myself, I was pretty happy with how it looked as is... And yes a bit lazy I suppose. Ha ha.

But there has been a part of me that has a very specific vision for my build that I've been after, and that voice in the back of my mind kept nagging at me to finish this damn thing.

So, last spring I finally got back to thinking about it and initially went with a low-cost alternative to minimally change the look by adding some kerker exhaust tips for a "reverse cone" look on the stock pipes. And that looked "ok" but I wasn't happy with the sound. They were a bit too raspy for my liking, and that is mainly due to the stock pipes being a bit raspy as well.
Here's a clip of the stock pipes with kerker tips:

I actually dig the look of the exhaust tips...but it wasn't "complete" without the sound.

Meantime, over the summer after many good days of riding, my stock BS38's started leaking (on the right carb). I would clean them up, check the valve needle seat and floats for leaks and adjust, etc. which would cure the issue for a few weeks and then every once in a while it would leak again. (I think it's murphy's law that had it leak exactly at the wrong time when I was in a rush to get somewhere!) BTW, I suspect a bad float that I had replaced last year with some aftermarket variation (but that's for another thread)...Anyways, this fall I was going to send them off to oldschoolcarbs to get completely rebuilt and looking pretty...but after a few seasons of racing my Honda 175's, where we run with Keihin round slide carbs, I kind of fell in love with them (so simple and work great)...thus, I did some research and some more research (Learning a hell of a lot from this site of course), I decided that the pros outweighed the cons and I would give a set of "XS650 tuned" VM34 Kit a shot. Thus, fix my leaking carb...and since I had to tune them, might as well swap out the exhaust altogether at the same time. :)

I decided on a set of 1.5" header pipes from Mikes, as they aren't all that expensive and I had some 45 degree extensions off of Dime-city for my race bikes that would fit. I also decided on some mini cammando-style slip-on's for the Norton look I was after...once the old exhaust came off, they pretty much bolted together fairly easily..although I had to make a bracket and space them off the frame a bit. I may go with a wider diameter header down the road...as I prefer the larger pipes, but for now, I think it works.

For the carbs, the install was simple, being very familiar with round slides now, the tuning has been painless so far (For those interested--I'm currently running a size 20 Pilot jet, and 180 main jet... with the needle clip in the mid position. So far this seems solid, revs great and no hesitation anywhere...I may be a bit lean on the mains but I won't know until I do more testing).

Here's a pic of the bike as it is today:
full

And here's a clip of it running:

Happy New Years everyone!

Back