79 Special II RestoCustom "Doomy"

I sure do agree 5twins, the height sure seems about right. Right now reading this I'm feeling guilty as I just remembered that my center stand is likely as dry for grease as every other rear end component was.
:rolleyes:
I have a lot to do but at least it seems the bike "plan" lol, (changes all the time) is going to be all right. That big tall Shinko rear tire I traded off was likely too tall.. oh dang, I need a 32 or 33 tooth ear sprocket too.
-R

Question, It is common knowledge that 78/79 Standard mufflers benefit in sound and performance by simply poking into the ends and knocking thru that cap about 10" in there. These 79 Special mufflers are quite healthy and I see those same looking caps down in there..
Knock em ? :umm:
I almost did yesterday but restrained myself till further info is found.

Yes, a 32T or 33T sprocket will work OK on the 16" wheel. As you can see in the chart below, a 32T on a 16" wheel is very close to the same as a 33T on an 18" wheel .....

full

As I've mentioned before, I don't care for a 32T on an 18" wheel. I think it gears the bike a little too high. The chart reflects the big change it makes.

Many claim the final diameter of tire shod 16" and 18" wheels are near the same but there really is a difference. The 16" is smaller.
Doing the math says the tire diameters are close. We know the reality that they differ by manufacturer. However, I don't deny you are correct. Wasn't the original tire an even larger 4.00 x 18? That 16" Dunlop 404 looks pretty huge. The retro Shinko looks even bigger in the pictures.

Question, It is common knowledge that 78/79 Standard mufflers benefit in sound and performance by simply poking into the ends and knocking thru that cap about 10" in there. These 79 Special mufflers are quite healthy and I see those same looking caps down in there..
Knock em ? :umm:
I almost did yesterday but restrained myself till further info is found.

Yes, there are two discs welded in there, a few inches apart. Knock them out and you'll make more noise. A piece of broom handle should get it if you have one small enough. It's still not obnoxious. I don't recall any loss or gain in my butt torque meter.

The P.O. of my '83 drilled extra holes in the end plate around the main hole. It made the bike louder, mostly when under a load, but it wasn't a good loud. I thought it sounded kinda crappy and obnoxious. I don't recommend doing this. Just this small mod threw the carbs off some too.

fdpwlZm.jpg

Back in the 70's, I used a 5/8" long drill bit, ( or maybe just the largest one that would fit), and drilled out the baffle deep inside. It sounded OK, mostly loud when you get on it. Just be careful, a large piece of metal in there will sound like crap if you can't get it out. Filings are silent. Good luck!

I used a 5/8" long drill bit, ( or maybe just the largest one that would fit),
I like that idea. On my long 78 Standard mufflers which were starting to corrode it just took a long tapered punch to create holes. Hoping to mimic that mod again on this set. I was not aware that there were two plugs in there to poke through however on this Special II

Oh, you ask, why did I do that. Well, after my original mufflers rattled themselves to pieces inside, I picked up a set of special pipes. Seeing the cross overs I said, "I don't need no stinking cross overs, and cut them off and welded them shut. Well, it ran like crap. So I drilled it out. Still ran like crap. I then welded the crossovers back on. It ran OK after that. Don't have to tell you guys the moral of this story!:banghead:

Maybe shoulda just named the thread "79 Cafe Sorta Quest" as the project ideas continue to change.. "progress"
I spent some time at the hardware store sorting through many gizmos to utilize the intended seat mount style of the PO's seat. Seemed like a good enough plan, I just wanted the seat raised up off of the frame about 3/4" using rubber dampers around the stainless studs.
20191221_080712.jpg
This seat is leather and "Cafe" in my opinion.
20191221_080613.jpg
Now this is just before the plan changed lol. See, with that seat on there neither the rear fender or the tank even fit due to interference! Aah Shoot, Over it !
Now, I'm considering cutting down this touring seat on hand and creating a much better mount system using the stock Standard seat base. The rear saddle could be cut down to a roundish "Cafe" shape. Even the existing cover could be used. Weird maybe but very original, comfortable, and useful ? What do you all think of a vintage Cop like Cafe saddle?
20191221_081601.jpg
20191221_081155.jpg
One plan which I am pursuing is that rear fender idea of using the original license plate mount as a combo plate mount/ small round tail light. And also sticking with the new rear turn signal location at the prior fender mount holes. This looks very promising and clean !
Red turn signal lenses that are also running lights too ? Ya!
20191221_085059.jpg 20191219_185810.jpg
So this is my current route headed. (No map, no phone navigation needed) I have a few needed components coming from our DogBunny Thank You! But, I'm heading out of town for the holidays. Cheers to All !
Have a wonderful holiday and do sneak in garage time.
-Randy , Vancouver WA
:cool:

Oh and, the brown cafe seat is avaliable for real cheap lol :lmao:
As I have no convenient way to do body work or paint.. Here is a full XS Special body set which is actually pretty good ! Tank, Side tins, headlight ears and bucket. Which could all be worked and painted together to dress up somebodys Special. If you find it here and need a body project, PM me..

Attachments

• 20191221_085530.jpg
    20191221_085530.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 166
  • 20191221_085634.jpg
    20191221_085634.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 195
Best Christmas envelope yet!
WA Motorcycle title for the 79 Special II in my name. Took a little longer than usual and a follow up "please" as the OR title transfer was lacking in formalities from 2 PO's and WA state is quite particular.
What a Relief ! I own this thing :D now

Attachments

• 20191221_114508.jpg
    20191221_114508.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 185
New Years XS resolutions are falling in order. "Just Let it happen" :cool:
Over the holiday a friend handed me a very recent and coveted by me, Dunlop Front Harley take off tire. A 2017 Dunlop D401 which is a "made in America" tire specifically for Harley Davidsons. The set of D404's I acquired cheap for this XS Cafe was the intended first try but I must admit that 404 front just didn't excite me one bit for this bike with that "backward tread" design and very smooth profile. The D404 rear looks just plain Stompin cool however. This D401 is an expensive tire and it's really nice "feeling". This tread design is a much better match for the rear D404. I'm stoked enough that I dismounted the old front 404 and am trueing up my Super Cool 79 aluminum front rim for the Harley tire and a pair of 5mm SR500 rotors
:geek:
You can see my serious trueing stand and very high tech trueing equipment. This requires good music and peanuts to toss out the door to my now fat squirrel tribe lol..
I'm expecting more front end chrome trim and bolts even to arrive anytime ! Yes, I have parts coming from Texas via USPS, very abnormal practice for my style as any of you know who follows my simple local sourcing practices :lmao:
Worlds a Changin folks and so is this XS Project -RT
20191228_092403.jpg

Attachments

• 20191228_093003.jpg
    20191228_093003.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 239
  • 20191228_092643.jpg
    20191228_092643.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 204
  • 20191228_093703.jpg
    20191228_093703.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 164
  • 20191228_093639.jpg
    20191228_093639.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 191
  • 20191228_092534.jpg
    20191228_092534.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 213
  • 20191228_092450.jpg
    20191228_092450.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 186
kinda like my jack stand special!
Now that is nice Bob ! On bare rims I mostly check all spokes for correct tightness and pull the rim wobble out "close enough"
After the tire is levered on and tire pressure is set on the high side, I then recheck the wheel trueness and make the final spoke adjustments. Wheels on the bike can be occasionally checked and trued up a bit anytime. Not as well as bicycle wheels but yet some. It's a maintenence check if you are a spoke wheel cycle owner.

20191229_092510.jpg USPS package from Texas came. A lot of this small accumulation came from "DogBunny" who continues to be a Very good source for parts! Thank You! When we do these XS projects there is so much commitment in time searching for the small bits to get the bike the way we want them right?
Anyway, I try hard to find and use original hardware and bits. The "Standard" style fork trim chrome pieces were especially hard to find this time
;)

Last edited:
Back