'79 special voltage regulator swap basic questions

I am at work at the moment and don't have any pictures. I have found one on google, I have one of these and then one that looks fairly identical. Im new to bikes and electronics, so it might not be a regulator.

XS2VoltageRegulator2.jpg

Hi Aussi, you have replaced the rectifier and are now looking at replacing the regulator? The green bit is supposed to get hot, it's dumping excess voltage, that's what it's meant to do. Did you do the charging voltage test we discussed at all?
You would need to do something horribly wrong to fry a regulator

cheers Mick

Hey guys thanks for all the input, I'll get one of those Bosch regulators and see how they go. Mine isn't busted but I just want to have some spares so I know I am safe with a back up :). How do I tell if my bike is a TCI? I got it imported from Japan and it says on the paperwork 1978 special but it doesn't have the badges for a special. I just want to make sure.

Mick, I bought a voltage gauge so I can keep in top of the power while on the move. Started her and ran it for a bit and the voltage was showing 13.5, whole jumping up and down a bit with revs. The battery was a bit flat so I will do a proper test when I have the carbs on and tuned.

All my electrical issues are over now:bow2:! The carbs are next. The bowls were 24mm instead of 27mm and her lowest idle was 4rpm. Now we have a nice 800-1k rpm. :).

My next issue is the clutch, I pop her in gear and it lunged forward and stalled right away. I did the adjustment screw in the bars all the way out and squeeze the clutch fully and no go :(. I'll read the tech section and see what's up :umm:

Left side of the head remove the cover above the spark plug. Under it you will find points or nothing(TCI).
Re: the clutch. If it hasn't been run in awhile it could be your clutch plates are sticking.

Yes, the VR-115 or it's equivalent is the usual choice for the '79 and older charging systems. You cannot use the regulator Bill linked to on your '78, it is the wrong kind. It is for the '80 and newer charging systems. When the TCI electronic ignition was added, the way the brushes were wired was changed. This was 1980 in the U.S. market, maybe a year or two later in some other markets. The earlier system on the points models grounded the inner brush full time through it's mounting screws and power was sent to the outer brush by the regulator. The regulator switched this power feed on and off to control or "regulate" the charging output. The later TCI equipped bikes were sort of opposite to this. The inner brush was fed constant switched power from the main harness and the outer brush was fed the ground by the regulator. This ground was switched on and off to control charging output. So, that means two different types of regulators were needed/used. The early system uses a power switching regulator. The later system uses a ground switching regulator.

The VR-115 is a power switching regulator and what you need for your '78. That VR794 that Bill linked to is a ground switching regulator and won't work on your '78.

So, I have found out that I have a TCI, that means my bike is a 79? I just want to confirm, are you saying the best regulator to use for a 1979 TCI bike would be VR-115?

Left side of the head remove the cover above the spark plug. Under it you will find points or nothing(TCI).
Re: the clutch. If it hasn't been run in awhile it could be your clutch plates are sticking.

Happy days, here's hoping I don't run through the garage wall!

I have the electrics behind the cover, so I guess i have a TCI.

If you have electronics it has most likely been converted from points. Post a picture.

Might as well take off the right side, cover also. . . .you are going to want to know. Picture both sides.

I can see him running down to the garage with a screwdriver in one hand and a camera in the other :lmao:.....

Do you want me to chase the rectifier for you? I am going to the shop today.....

Cheers Mick

. How do I tell if my bike is a TCI? I got it imported from Japan and it says on the paperwork 1978 special but it doesn't have the badges for a special. I just want to make sure.

This should have been in your first post. Japanese Bikes are way different n the respect they have things on their bikes before they were on the bikes in other countries.

Post up some pics of the bike, behind the chrome cam end covers, reg and rectifier or if it is the combined Solid state Reg/rect. all this information is needed because it could make a lot of the answers to your questions null and void and money spent could be wasted on the wrong parts.

Frame and engine no to please. If you don't want to post the whole number leave the last 3 digits as an aster-ix

OK Mick cause I was sure a little lost. I went back and read some previous posts and wasn't finding anything about rectumfying.

Sorry for the late reply guys, I have been working manically on the old thing to get her ready for rego this Saturday. The clutch was stuck and I put her on the center stand and ran it to 5th gear and locked up the rear brake about 15 times and it finally came undone! She is ready for rego!

I was doing exactly what Mick said, I ran down with a screw driver this morning but the cover wouldn't come undone. I need to warm her up to get the screws out, then I'll post some pictures.

I did undo the cover when I first got it but I can't remember exactly what was behind it, there is a black cable running into the left side cover above the sparks. Hopefully it's already got one and it saves me buying one.

The previous posts show what I bought. Would that be the wrong rectifier to get?
Mick, don't worry about getting that rectifier if the last ones I bought in the previous posts works. Thanks for the help tho.

It's Japanese, did they change them much? I did like the fact it only had 25k (kms) on the clock. My thoughts wander to a Japanese guy meticulously going over every detail of the bike before each and every ride to make sure it's just right haha.

Attachments

• IMG_4036.JPG
    IMG_4036.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_4036.JPG
    IMG_4036.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_4036.JPG
    IMG_4036.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 128
In your first post, you said you had points. That black wire running into the little housing on the left side above the spark plug would indicate you do. I don't know where you got the idea that you have a TCI. That is the factory electronic ignition. You would not have two ignition systems on the bike, you would have one or the other, points or TCI.

Take a look at your alternator too. It's under the round cover that says "Yamaha" just above the shift lever on the left side. You need to positively identify the version of the charging system you have because that determines which regulator you need.

Good shout on the chain guard! I have it covered in grease with no intention of putting it on, I will dust it off and put it on for sure :).

I'll get loads of pics tonights, thanks for the help guys :)

Back