79 XS650 Carb rebuild, signal install, speedo install, crankcase gaskets, and other stuff

Mike's a good guy. He'll tell you more than you may want to hear. Have pencil paper, take notes........
Gotcha. I'm definitely going to need float bowl gaskets and float valves. The springs are pretty shot in these and the seals are cracked. Also, the drain screws are completely wrecked. Looks like someone used a visegrip on them. :doh:

Welcome to the wonderful world of the XS650.
On your carbs, rebuild kits are seldom needed. A kit has some gaskets that work, some have float valves that work. If they come with any other parts, those seldom work.
Better to tear down, clean inspect before you buy anything. The stock gaskets are fairly robust and can be reused. The brass parts can be cleaned and used.
Often cheaper to buy just the parts you need rather than the kits.
On the ID, check the engine, on the front kinda behind the front engine mount on the upper case half. Is a number.
From the factory that number matched the number stamped into the steering neck. If it does fine, If it doesn't that's fine too.
There are charts that you use those numbers to determine the year and model of your bike. Most states will use the frame number for title and registration.
Up near the top of the Page you will find a black bar, Click on the TECH. This takes you to a list of categories. Under each category there will be more specific listings. Search the tech section and you will find answers to most of your questions.
For those that you can't find answers too then ask here.
The places you found for parts, most are pretty good, Mike's is a so-so place. Some good parts, others not so much.
There are many threads talking about Mike's quality issues.
Leo
I found the tech tab this morning. This is gonna answer a bunch of questions. I actually have a question about electroplating. Not sure if you guys have any knowledge about that. I've been wanting to plate the exhaust pipes with copper. I've seen the process explained but I've never done it myself. Chrome shops offer that don't they? I'm just wondering if anyone has ever done that at home.

Nevermind on the copper plating. Just found a hotrod forum that covers this. It'll oxidize in seconds and discolor. I may go with a ceramic coating for the pipes.

Many of us order our genuine Yamaha parts on-line from this place. All the parts diagrams are also an excellent resource when working on the bike .....

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle

As mentioned, carb rebuild kits are not recommended. They are aftermarket and many of the included parts are junk or do not fit. Best you get float needle and seat assemblies directly from Yamaha .....

https://www.partzilla.com/product/y...?ref=3efe33497aab91646997cb98c73a4b54346f76d8

650Central would be a good source for the floats, maybe the bowl gaskets and drain bolts too. Yamaha is ridiculously expensive for the floats and gaskets, and don't even carry the bolts anymore.

That long spring on your left carb is not supposed to be there. You shouldn't need it to return the throttle arm to the closed position, the throttle shafts have springs on them for that. Your choke lever is missing, removed so that silly extra spring could be added. That you'll want to have.

A4nZYew.jpg

Many of us order our genuine Yamaha parts on-line from this place. All the parts diagrams are also an excellent resource when working on the bike .....

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle

As mentioned, carb rebuild kits are not recommended. They are aftermarket and many of the included parts are junk or do not fit. Best you get float needle and seat assemblies directly from Yamaha .....

https://www.partzilla.com/product/y...?ref=3efe33497aab91646997cb98c73a4b54346f76d8

650Central would be a good source for the floats, maybe the bowl gaskets and drain bolts too. Yamaha is ridiculously expensive for the floats and gaskets, and don't even carry the bolts anymore.

That long spring on your left carb is not supposed to be there. You shouldn't need it to return the throttle arm to the closed position, the throttle shafts have springs on them for that. Your choke lever is missing, removed so that silly extra spring could be added. That you'll want to have.

A4nZYew.jpg
Thanks! I was wondering about that. It seemed useless. The previous owner said that the throttle cable was very sticky so that may have been the lazy solution instead of just replacing the throttle cable. Good to know.

..... or oiling it. This is an "old school" bike. You have to keep the control cables (throttle and especially clutch) well oiled for them to work best. Most older bikes are like this. They need more "old fashioned" type maintenance.

..... or oiling it. This is an "old school" bike. You have to keep the control cables (throttle and especially clutch) well oiled for them to work best. Most older bikes are like this. They need more "old fashioned" type maintenance.
I'm gonna get a new throttle cable and throw some lube in there to be thorough.

Back