'79 xs650 Modern Cafe Build

What are the plans for the gas tank and seat? Looks like the upper shock mount is in the way of the rear tank mount.

Regardless, I'm sure that will be nothing for you. It's looking REALLY good!!

Thanks man!

I'm still deciding if I want to use the stock tank or make a custom tank... Either way the rear tank mount will be made after the subframe is done. Hard for me to explain, but I've got some ideas.

Quick update.

With everything finish welded the bike is off the jig and sitting close to its final stance. Now I can start on the fun and easy stuff like the subframe.

03460BF4-B6FE-41DF-B599-7D4E9AA1C0FD_zpssqlkruqg.jpg

A1688E7B-225F-4BF6-8F9C-DAE240478558_zps9u4lrvmi.jpg

45DA237D-6C05-4C15-84B3-A527523C4416_zps6gwvfipq.jpg

Loving how the swingarm and frame have turned out so far, can't wait to see what you pull off for the rear subframe.
Nic

Enjoying your frequent updates and work. Please keep the updates coming.

Using a flat rear engine mounting plate like that you will need to trim the chain entry area of the alternator cover to get it to fit.
I can’t see that being a problem though with your skills.

Great looking build so far. Looking forward to the final product! (BTW, your welding looks great. You've definitely got some serious ability.)

Sorry for the recent lack of updates. I've had a lot going on lately including finishing my basement, work overtime and an oncoming driver turning in front of me totaling my car.

3E426B03-4645-4BF7-A08F-06EF9FCEB35C_zpsjbfgcgyu.jpg

But I have been making some progress in figuring out brake parts etc.. I was also planning on making the tank, but decided to throw on this 500t tank and see how it looked. I think it fits too good to not use.

8287F42C-A079-485F-98F3-2C1C8F5D047F_zpsanp7yytk.jpg

Sorry to learn of your crash. Thank goodness you weren’t on your bike.
You might need to scallop the front of your tank to accommodate the USD forks and give you some more steering lock.

Crazy build man, I wish I had your metalworking skills. Sorry to hear of your accident, I also drive an E90 (330i 6MT).

I agree, it fits incredibly well.

Sorry to learn of your crash. Thank goodness you weren't on your bike.
You might need to scallop the front of your tank to accommodate the USD forks and give you some more steering lock.

:popcorn: The quality of this work is too good to miss out on. Plus I am loving the way this is turning out.

Crazy build man, I wish I had your metalworking skills. Sorry to hear of your accident, I also drive an E90 (330i 6MT).

Thanks guys!

Back