79 xs750 SF?

73 tx650-xs650 resto

XS650 Member
Reaction score
00E0E_3KKMvpI5D1d_600x450.jpg
00E0E_3KKMvpI5D1d_600x450.jpg
Looking to get a bike it's a 79 Yamaha xs750 SF? Not sure if it could be a special has no side covers it's a triple they want 750 it runs and rides but has a high idle mostly complete except for change of seat and no side covers and handlebars in pod filter conversion from the looks could it be a good deal?View attachment 95230 View attachment 95231

Long as the engine is good, they are a lot harder to tear into than an XS650. shaft drive limits customizing quite a bit. Had a couple but never a good one, grin, guess I'm not a fan.

$750 is way too much for an XS750 Special. A perfect one won't bring that. They aren't bad bikes, just nobody wants them. I had a chance to buy one for $400 that had been sitting too long, otherwise perfect. After researching sold items on eBay I realized I would not be able to flip it for a profit.

Old bikes without a following that have several show stopper gotcha's
2nd gear issues,
clutch issues
cam chain failures
ignition module.
that heavy ass power chewing shaft drive, great for touring, not so much for a cafe or chooper.
Time moves on.

I mean really I'm not looking to chop a bike but to buy an ride with my dad I'm young an just love the old Yamahas an since I found out about the 2 strokes then the 3 cylinders it just made me want one but if everyone says they are junk then I guess I'll stay away

I mean really I'm not looking to chop a bike but to buy an ride with my dad I'm young an just love the old Yamahas an since I found out about the 2 strokes then the 3 cylinders it just made me want one but if everyone says they are junk then I guess I'll stay away

It's not necessarily junk. They were decent bikes. $750 is way too much. Blowing 2nd gear means splitting the cases. It's not if it will happen, but when. I'm sure the gears are no longer available.

I see what was that problem I've seen people asking like well if it doesn't have 2nd gear then I don't want it

Yamaha had several motorcycles that would lose 2nd gear, including all of the XS models, except the 650. Only the XS1100 can be fixed without splitting the cases. If you understand the problem, you can fix it before it breaks. It involves moving a washer on the countershaft.

The 1200 ventures had the second gear problem also. Plenty of THOSE died of old age while the rider did the 1-~-3 shift for 10's of thousands of miles. The 1200 motor could just shrug and say I don' NEED no stinkin" 2nd gear. Probably yhe most common gear failure on any transmission. The extra jump across neutral and that shift is the one street riders make most often under hard acceleration. Just like the XS650 the XS750 standard is now considered more desirable.

It's funny that back in the day, the Special outsold the standard 7:1! The standard got dropped from the XS650 line and morphed into a touring bike in the XS11 line-up. I find it strange that so many are now dissing the Special. Usually, what was hot then is what's hot now. The XS750 standard gets a look from the cafe crowd and the occasional restorer. Nobody wants an XS750 Special.
15994653_10210173561569249_3989794645281862237_o.jpg

This F belongs to John Chaves, who is Director of the Yamaha 650 Society. This bike was recently featured in Motorcycle Classics. I think it has 1200 miles on it! That triple sounds awesome! It is seen here parked in my driveway.

So what I should do is try to find a another xs750 but not a special or just go ahead and try to find another early seventies XS650 but I was also planning on trying to find a nice rd350 I've been seeing the 1975 models for around $1,200 all original and riding

JM soon as I saw it I thought Chaves. That's a steal for a nice RD350. There are so many nice modern bikes so cheap now You can find a good 2000-2005 FZ1 for 2K ish. Put 100 miles on the $2K 05 FJR today. stopped and helped Tim with XS650 carb synch 101.

Back