79F Standard Rescue in progress

I'll just throw in here that those linings are THIN don't try anything too aggressive, there'll be a rear hub on the scrap pile. i\If there's some scoring just get a generally smooth surface don't try to completely remove deep score marks. Pretty much a "one wear cycle" design.
Knock off a little rust from it sitting since a clean up and I call this good to go....
DSCN3707.JPG DSCN3708.JPG

Last edited:
Knock off a little rust from it sitting since a clean up and I call this good to go....
Scotch Brite scuffs the drum up just barely.
The rear drums have in the past been criticized as too weak. Personally , I prefer a weak rear brake anyway. Having owned 3 XS's with drums now I haven't ever needed more rear braking power. Though the fronts have been more of an issue. We all read many threads regarding the M/C 's and such.
And I've seen some "stompin cool"
Front wheel set ups ! (gggGary)
I have to rebuild my MC as well here.
I'm not expecting much braking power in the end out of this 79F
Yaa, it's Friday ! Gonna do something XS later :)
-RT

I think the stock front brake set-up can be made to work quite well if you clean out the system (caliper AND MC), add a stainless line, and drill the disc. I was perfectly happy with my '78 like that for many years. I only made the switch to an 11mm MC about a year ago and well, the jury's still out on that, lol. I thoroughly cleaned out the system on the '83 and added a stainless line, but it doesn't seem as good as the '78 was. The disc isn't drilled yet though. Maybe that is the missing ingredient. I can't say what difference that made on the '78 because I started out with it drilled. I never rode it without a drilled disc.

Quick question about front fenders. Im at a salvage yard.
This XS750 Special has a great front fender. It looks like an XS650 fender ?
Anybody know before I pull this off in the rain ? And check out this "universal rack "
Thx, -RT

Attachments

• 20190201_101020.jpg
    20190201_101020.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 207
  • 20190201_101304.jpg
    20190201_101304.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 205
As noted for maybe a whole page above, there were questions as to how or why my Vesrah brake shoes seemingly did not fit my 79F XS Standard rear wheel components.
Both a 78E rear wheel contributed fitment check components as well as 79F components.
It did really bother me for the day at work as to the reasons.
Now at home, I've brought up two wheels, two brake backing plates, 3 sets of shoes and some soft springs from the hardware store for easy shoe changing in the living room :thumbsup:
After many attempts with combinations of backing plates, wheels, and shoes, I found that the Original shoes fit ANYWAY you want but, the Vesrah shoes in my possession do not fit. The brake drum will not quite clear the shoe radius.
I am very suspicious of the casting placement of the pivot holes which do not seem to be machined at all ?
Or the cam flat end of the shoes which have the steel "cap" over the casting.
Regardless of where the error is, the overall width of the shoes at about centerline mounted is over 7" and more like 7.070
The stock shoes I have are used but one set is very close to original size (appearing) as I have never measured new original shoes.
So, I am relieved of a guilty conscience. This time is wasn't my carelessness or ignorance to blame .. hallelujah!
I may inspect shoes at work tomorrow with real good measuring equipment to compare heights, radius , etc.. or I may just move on.
Thank you everybody for contributing helpfulness !
- Randy
I sold many vesrah products but DID run into an instance like you are having. It was on a Honda TRX70 atv rear brake and just as reported here , when assembled to brake plate, would not fit in the drum! I ended up facing off a bit of metal from the flats on each shoe where the cam spreads the shoes. Worked for me and still does for that old 4-wheeler has entertained the grandkids for lots of rides over the years and has lots of back yard and easy trail rides left in it........

Yes, I think that fender will fit, but it may not have as much inner bracing as a 650 fender does. I have something like that on my '78. It was advertised on eBay as a 650 fender but I know now it isn't. It doesn't have the extra layer of bracing between the mounts like a 650 fender does. Also, that looks like a Special fender. It will be slightly smaller than the Standard version. But that's not a bad thing. I think they look nice, even a little better.

Thanks ! Salvage yards are a treasure trove of parts if you can figure out which ones lol..
There are plenty of Yamaha bits here . Just not XS650's of course

One of my favorite tools is this all plastic grinding wire wheel you put on a normal drill. I usually scuff my rear brake shoes and also the front disc.
This wheel is very gentle on metal but is very good at removing glazing and surface groves, also rust and paint. You can buy it at harbor freight for $4. It's one of my favorite tools now.

Attachments

• image_22506.jpg
    image_22506.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 157
  • Small-80-Grit-Nylon-Abrasive-Wheel-Cup-Brush.jpg
    Small-80-Grit-Nylon-Abrasive-Wheel-Cup-Brush.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 178
NOOO! XS750 specials have offset fork legs the axle is in front of the leg. the brackets are located about an 1 1/2" further back!
XS750 standard fenders will work. but like 5t sez they are not as stiff.
It's kind of odd but the special fenders are actually fatter, and I prefer them especially with wider rims and tires.

NOOO! XS750 specials have offset fork legs the axle is in front of the leg. the brackets are located about an 1 1/2" further back
Yup ! I took it off and got all dirty to see it just wasn't the right angle . LOL !
Fun anyway this guy knows I'm nutty too.
Thanks

Yes, boneyards are fun. You might find some seat/helmet locks like your '78 and '79 ones. Look on XS750s and 500s. Any old TX750 twins in there? The wheels and swingarm are nice 650 upgrades. The rims used were D.I.D. and I think they're a bit better quality that the Takasago brand used on later years.

My fender has one set of the mounting holes slotted so it can be tilted to match the wheel. Maybe that's how you make that Special fender work?

Any old TX750 twins in there?
I wish there were ! I'd just try to haul it off to dismantle all those things :)
Now I'm trying to combine my M/C with a nicer one off a Special lol..
I just want the nicer un sun cooked reservoir and lid etc..
We'll see how that goes ...

Yes, boneyards are fun. You might find some seat/helmet locks like your '78 and '79 ones. Look on XS750s and 500s. Any old TX750 twins in there? The wheels and swingarm are nice 650 upgrades. The rims used were D.I.D. and I think they're a bit better quality that the Takasago brand used on later years.

My fender has one set of the mounting holes slotted so it can be tilted to match the wheel. Maybe that's how you make that Special fender work?
I just remember having a shiny one and being disappointed that the bracket was so wrong.

Yes, it was a shiny one ..
So not too many Special MC components are interchangeable.
Have a nicer lid ! ya.. nicer hardware and "diaphram" ? I think this 79F MC is going to be okay. It is quite clean inside.
And, Being a long time American manufacturing pro myself. It's okay for me to go thru all this nonsense to not buy Chinese !
And , Moto Cycle Vancouver gave me my stuff for FREE !
:thumbsup:

Attachments

• 20190201_130049.jpg
    20190201_130049.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 200
Sold my wheels and found the lost steering stem bearing on my floor ..:laughing:
Front brake system is checking out good.
Fine garage time lol

I found the 1 missing one a few days ago too! It was annoying me not. Having it so I installed it. Those things fall out and dissappear so fast.

Just a lil' update on brake shoes.

My Vesrah VB-225 shoes arrived.
They're a mirror-image set, with the posts on one side.
Vesrah-VB-225-01.jpg

And the "1" and "2" markings on the other.
Vesrah-VB-225-02.jpg

... I ended up facing off a bit of metal from the flats on each shoe where the cam spreads the shoes...

This view shows that the anchor pivot post area is machined, and the cam pads have been ground.
Vesrah-VB-225-03.jpg

Maybe JAX is onto something here.
Do the suspect shoes show signs of this pad grinding?

Back