'80 650SG reviving

Carb shot? The floats are seized will not move up or down and the pilot jets will not come out. Also it's all corroded and black. There was also old stale gas left in it with an orange tint. Is it worth trying to get a rebuild kit or all new carbs?

uploadfromtaptalk1435512068649.jpguploadfromtaptalk1435512105009.jpguploadfromtaptalk1435512128166.jpg

Rebuild kits have some generic parts that would not work with your carbs. Buy individual parts and with time your carbs could be fixed but there are often carbs for sale for around the $40-$60 mark.

The brass floats can be changed for the later plastic ones

I read almost the whole carb guide already. And that's how I figured it'd be a daunting task. I cannot get the diaphragm and slide out. It appears to be in okay shape but will not come out. I suspect the needle is gummed up but don't want to be too forceful. The guide didn't account for that or what to do if the pilot jet is stripped. Unless I just spray solvent, compressed air, and repeat and hope it's good enough after a half a dozen times. And as with the diaphragm, can I try to "pry" the slide free with a screwdriver from the side.

Prying with screwdriver is a good way to gouge things up. Some recommend using a hair dryer to warm things up, this softens the varnish enough to get the slides out.
If you must pry, cut a taper on the end of an inch board soit fits in the carb under the slide.
Leo

Prying with screwdriver is a good way to gouge things up. Some recommend using a hair dryer to warm things up, this softens the varnish enough to get the slides out.
If you must pry, cut a taper on the end of an inch board soit fits in the carb under the slide.
Leo
I will try that. Thank you

Thanks skull, the floats were off and the needle valve on the left side was just sitting in the float bowl.. must have been shipping. But after about 15 minutes of fussing with the choke and cranking she fired up! I was so excited I didn't even notice that it was idling at 3.5k and oil spitting out the RHS oil filter cover. New gasket on the way for that. And idle fixed(or I'll find out). New chain and sprocket, throttle cable, breaks gone over, and she may just be ready for a road test.
Wouldn't have got her started without you guys and this awesome site.

Back