1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

80 special fuel cap screws.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by koyuga, Mar 28, 2018.

1. koyuga

koyuga XS650 Enthusiast

Need the 3 small Phillips head screws that hold the seal mount to cap spring.

Anyone have a size or thread pitch.

Thx.

2. kshansen

kshansen XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

Forgot to measure the diameter of the couple I took out, very small, but the ones I have are not screw threads so to speak but are a somewhat coarse thread self taping type screw. What I would call a "sheet metal" screw. Length under head is about 7 to 8 mm.

If it was me I would take cap to hardware store and try a few screws till I found one that fit. Or it you have a motorcycle junk yard near you start looking there.

3. gggGary

gggGary I'm listening, change my mind XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I might try a computer fix it store or look inside an old desk top computer they tend to use a bunch of really fine screws about that size.

4. xjwmx

xjwmx It's just the unknown. Top Contributor

U.S.A.
    You'll find them easily at any HW store (at least in the U.S.) , too big for comp store. But the length will probably be wrong. This is where a Dremel too with reinforced cutoff wheel is very useful. After cutting, file a very slight bevel around the end.

Screw size and length is encoded into some Yamaha part numbers, which might help sometime.

If you have a real good HW store nearby you can try this:
    http://www.xs650.com/threads/replace-tank-cap-seal-with-o-ring.7586/#post-78304

Always save ALL your old parts.

5. gggGary

gggGary I'm listening, change my mind XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I came up with 3mm by 7.5mm and they are a self tapping sheet metal screw.
    DSCN8805.JPG