'80 Special Refit

Check that the thin line at the bead shows all the way around the tire. I find about every 4th or 5th tire mounting I get one that hasn't popped home all the way. Let air out, use a spoon to create a gap,squirt in some ruglide, re air, usually does it.
Get the front wheel off the ground, chuck a wire wheel or such in a drill. spin up the tire. works in back also. ;)
When I get an unexplained shake, I pull in the clutch, coast a bit, pretty well divides it between chassis and driveline.

PS spin the tire slowly watch for an irregularity in the carcass, bump wiggle anything other than perfectly round. I've had a couple "new" tires that were dumpster fodder cuz of manufacturing flaws.

I put it up on the centerstand, propped the front of the engine up to lift the wheel, and did the wiggle test on the head and spun the tire. There is no play in the head and no bumpiness or other visible irregularity in the tire. And I checked for the nth time that the tire is installed the right way (there's an arrow in the sidewall on one side, and a smaller arrow on the other right at the tread edge). I'm coming to the conclusion that it's just how that tire rides.

I was mistaken about the original tire; it was a Dunlop D401. The rear tire is a Shinko, and it's still installed. I never noticed any shimmy with the Dunlop.

You could try just replacing the springs. Many times the originals go soft and that's why the clutch slips. Aftermarket heavy duty springs are cheap, about $10 to $15 a set. If that doesn't work then yes, you may need plates. CruzinImage has the cheapest I've run across.

https://www.cruzinimage.net/2017/12/27/80-83-yamaha-xs650-clutch-plate-set/

They've got cheap brake pads too.
5twins, have you actually done business with these guys? Because I ordered the clutch plates from them and got this confirmation note on 7/10/2021:

Thank you very much for using CRUZINIMAGE.NET this time.
We received your order as below and please confirm.

As soon as the item is ready, I will guide you through shipping by e-mail. Thank you.
There was nothing to "confirm" below the note, just an order reference for the clutch plates. I assumed, given their address in Japan (which I did not realize until after I ordered) that shipping would be slow, so I've been waiting... but last week I realized how long it had been and tried to contact them by email. When I didn't get a response after 2 days on my work account, I tried again using my GMail (and including the original email address in my reply so they should know it's me) and still have not had a reply after 4 more days.

I'd think by now I'd have at least a shipping notice. Have I been screwed? It's not a huge amount of money, but I hate to give it to someone for no reason.

WHOOPS never mind. Just discovered he refunded me (without notice) right after my original email went out. I used my wife's Paypal to pay him and she never noticed the refund, and he never told me he was refunding it. SO again, never mind. Now I just have to find them somewhere else.

Well yes, I have ordered from them a couple times and never encountered anything like you did. The orders always went through just like an order from anywhere else.

WHOOPS never mind. Just discovered he refunded me (without notice) right after my original email went out. I used my wife's Paypal to pay him and she never noticed the refund, and he never told me he was refunding it. SO again, never mind. Now I just have to find them somewhere else.
They must me out of stock on that item. I recently ordered piston rings and they made the trip from Tokyo to Mississippi in just a few days. It was much faster than several US vendors.

Two months with no word at all is too long. IMO, and I'm glad you haven't had this result, but I'm not ordering from them again.

Ordered it with my email address, just used her Paypal. She did not see any emails... she'd have told me. More organized than I could ever be.

Guess I should mention, I got two emails from him right away after ordering with no trouble.

Last edited:
So I see I didn't update this thread. About the time I made the last post, I bought the clutch plates via Amazon, fulfilled by Speed Addicts in Yorba Linda CA, and they came in about a week. My shop is unheated, but the weather is warming up here so hopefully I can start on the clutch job soon.

Reviewing this thread, I will add a note about that Michelin Commander II front tire: I did more research over the winter, and a LOT of people complain about vagueness, shimmy, or wobble with this tire. The reviews are overall pretty good, but the reviewers are mostly riding much heavier Harleys. Virtually all the negative reviews agree with my experiences. However, there are a few people who noted the tire improves after around 500 miles, so I'm leaving it on for a while just to see if that's true.

Last edited:
Well, it’s been more than a year since my last post about the XS650. I actually didn’t realize it had been that long. But today I actually scheduled the afternoon off to finally rebuild the clutch.

For starters, getting the side cover off was a chore. Using a narrow wooden board to direct force from the left side of the bike onto that boss everyone says is there to get the right side cover off didn’t work… I just chewed up the end of the board. A prybar carefully placed behind the boss, using the downtube as a fulcrum, is what finally freed it.

But I misunderstood the admonition to hold in the kickstarter, and ended up pulling it out unintentionally. I put it back in place using a trick I found in a video:

I’d like to take this time to ask you guys who make these videos… if you do a clutch rebuild video, please include the part where you remove the right side cover. All the videos I found either start with that cover already off, or skip over that part which is part of why I managed to accidentally pull the kickstart mechanism out.

But as I say, I got it back in. The next challenge was the screws holding the clutch together… in the video I watched, they were socket-headed, but in my engine (as in the video above) they are JIS. So I got into my toolbox and got out my Vessel #3 JIS impact driver, grabbed a hammer and went to work.
Fifteen minutes of hammering and cussing later I still didn’t have a single screw loose. Yes, I do know how to preload the impact driver… it just didn’t help.
As I sat there on the floor, annoyed and with my arthritic hands sore from the hammering, I had a thought. No, that couldn’t work…

I washed up and went into the house, where I grabbed my 20V Black & Decker impact driver and a fresh battery. Back in the shop, I got out the 1/4″ drive Motion Pro JIS bits I bought on a whim (never thinking I’d need them), dug out a #3 and loaded it into the driver.

Had those little buggers out in a jiffy. Dang.

The next part was textbook. Pull out the entire pack and lay it down in front of me. Peel off an old friction plate and throw it in the trash pile; pick up a new plate (fully soaked in oil, of course) and install it. Follow with a steel plate. Repeat sequence until entire clutch is reassembled.

The new springs are stiffer than the old ones, but installed easily enough, though one screw kept stopping before being fully seated. I finally swapped it with another one, and both went into their places just fine. Go figure.

Took a break to go get some brake cleaner to help with removal of the gasket residue, and then oiled up the new one and tried to reinstall the side cover. How the heck are you supposed to keep that gasket in place while you put the cover on? Gah. I finally found a skinny punch, no bigger than 6mm at the fattest part, stuck it into one of the top holes and used that and the locator pin at the bottom to hold the gasket while I worked the side cover into place.
That’s when I discovered that the exhaust blocks the reinstallation, if you have the kickstarter in the right place. Removed a bunch of screws and taps and loosened the clamp on the crossover, then used my prybar to separate the right side exhaust from the left.

Finally got that cover back on. Gah. Carefully torqued it down, then tried to put the exhaust back on. After another cussing interlude, I took the exhaust over to my workbench, grabbed a grinder, and carefully tapered the end of the crossover and thinned it out a bit. I put on some grease as well, and the combination got it all back together at last.

I failed to pay attention to the order I took it apart in, and reinstalled the footpeg before the brake lever… then of course, removed the footpeg because you can’t do it in that order. But then, with the brake lever, footpeg, and kickstart lever finally in their places, it was done.

Well, except for putting in the required 2,500 cc of 20W50 motorcycle oil. I use Valvoline conventional, bought at Wal-Mart, as noted previously. I have always avoided synthetic oils because of the wet clutch, but with new plates I wonder if it would be a good idea next time.

Tried to start it, but I had fallen off of my usual good habits over the winter, so the battery was almost flat. Put it on the charger and called it a night.

NEXT MORNING: The charger (really a battery maintainer) said it wasn't fully charged yet, but I went ahead and disconnected the charger and tried the starter, and yes, it started. I wasn't sure if I'd have a problem, considering how long I had let it sit.

But... the vacuum petcock must leak down a bit, as the airbox seemed full of gas, which blew out onto the cardboard I use to protect my garage floor. Ick. Pulled the bike outside, threw the cardboard in the trash (it's trash day so it won't sit around here for long), and let the bike warm up.

Ran it down the road south out of town, up over the 6,000 RPM mark, and no slipping. Killed it in my driveway on the return; clutch was dragging a bit, and I realized I must have loosened the clutch lever adjustment when I first discovered the problem almost two years ago. Corrected that, and am now happy with it.

Still hate that Michelin Commander II. It's going for sure; the rear looks like it's ready for replacement, so maybe I can get something I like better.

So now I'm researching tires.

100/90-19 front, 130/90-16 rear, tubeless. The front tire is an almost-new Michelin Commander II that I got as a prize and I hate with passion. The rear is a Shinko of some sort, 777 I think, that came on the bike.

I've seen the Shinko 712 recommended, and Revzilla says they have them in stock in those sizes. Before I pull the trigger, so to speak, does anyone have any comments on those tires? I can get the 777 tires as well, but I don't have any experience with the front tire there.

... and I have another problem, a minor one to be sure. The rubber grommet thingy for the upper rear mounting point of the side cover on the right has gone south. Looking at the fiche online, I can't find side panels that look like mine.

CMSNL has two models listed for 1980, the XS650 and the XS650S. Here are the relevant bits of the diagrams they show there, First, the "standard" model:

yamaha-xs650-1980-a-usa-side-cover.png

And then, the XS650S:

yamaha-xs650s-1980-a-usa-side-cover.png

But my side panels don't look like either of those. The first one is completely wrong, and the second really isn't "right."

Here's what I've got:

20230609_110346-OL.jpg

And here's the front rubber thingy:

20230609_110403-OL.jpg

The missing rear part seems to have been exactly the same as the front part circled above.

It's going to be hard to buy a replacement if I can't find a part number or proper nomenclature. Gah.

I suppose this might be the part: https://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs650s-1980-a-usa_model8686/damperside-cover-437_9048012053/

It doesn't look exactly the same, and without measurements I'm not sure how to tell.

I got in a test ride a day after rebuilding the clutch, and the clutch worked absolutely perfect. Still feels crappy but it works fine. HOWEVER... evidently I didn't get the case sealed. I had a lot of trouble positioning the gasket, and I don't know what exactly I did wrong.

I could have taken it apart and done it over again, but honestly I have neither time nor patience left. So I took it to a local guy who specializes in vintage bikes, and I expect to have it back in a couple of weeks. He's good, and he's reasonable, and I can't ask for more than that.

Back