80 XS 650 Special Ignition Pickup

fcbaker

oldguy69
Reaction score
First timer so bear with me. Picked up an 80 Special from a junkyard and in middle of rebuild. I'm missing a strong spark. Checked the coil and the reading was off so I replaced with a new coil , wires, caps and plugs. Same problem. Rang out the pickup and found a good reading between the black and grey but open on the black and orange. From what I read finding a replacement pickup or, in this year a pickup and stator is hard to find. Checked on ebay and didn't see anything so far. So what recommendations do you have to replace the system if it comes to that or any ideas on how I can get parts to keep the stock system. I appreciate any advice you can provide to me.

You can drill the "rivets" on the 80 pickups, use a LH bit and they probably will unthread before you are done. The holes in the stator are threaded, replace with screws. BETTER ANSWER; You can also cut a slot and turn them out with a flat blade screw driver.

Yes 80-84 all interchange.

If I was you, I'd be looking at another ignition because your 36 yr old Ignition box will not last forever. When the box died on my SG, I went PAMCO w/ electronic advance. Easy peasy to install. No ignition problem since.

I emailed the Pamco folks to learn more. It makes sense to go with a modern system vs the original since the existing was sitting out in the weather for years. Cost is always a factor and making sure I buy the correct replacement parts. If I understand the process I would remove the pickup and ignition box and replace them with Pamco equipment. Does Pamco provide a drawing that show wiring. That would help me understand what is removed and how the new is plugged in?

Back