81' Heritage Special rear wheel swap planning

Port

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guy,

Im trying to plan a rear-wheel swap for my 1981 HS. It currently has 19/16 mag wheels, with a disk in the front and drum in the back, and I would like to go to 19/18 or 19/19. I prefer the mag wheels. I just want a bit more handling response and to lift the rear. It is my understanding that I will have more tire options with the 18 but 19 swaps might be more feasible. I would like to run through my options as I understand them and get whatever feedback yall have to offer.

Option 1: Get a 19" rear wheel with a disk from an SR500 or DR400 with Omar's 19" REAR WHEEL CONVERSION KIT or similar parts.
- It is not clear to me what mods I might need to make to my swing arm. Something to do with the torque arm for the caliper.
- It is not clear to me how the rear caliper mounts. I have never seen an XS with a rear disk.
- What are the differences between and SR500 front and a rear wheel? there are many fronts available on eBay but I am struggling to find a rear.
- I would need to mount the rear master cylinder and reservoir. I assume I would just mimic the way these are mounted from the factory on models with a rear disk.

Option 2: Swap to a set of spoked front and rear and retain the rear drum brake.
- I recall that there are issues with this but I can not remember.

As far as I know, there's no 18" rear disc mag that's a direct swap. The issue I have with the Omar conversion kit (besides the cost) is that these front rims are quite narrow, only 1.85". By far, the easiest and probably cheapest option is to use spoke wheels. The earlier wheels will swap right on. Here's my '83 with earlier wheels ('77 I think) .....

2al8qBp.jpg

KUD9KWE.jpg

Back