81 Ignition

DustyR

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know I've got other active questions going on right now but I've been sitting here reading about wiring and ignitions and had a NOOB question. I have an 81 xs 650 special. I want to go to barebones wiring and eventually wire everything new myself. I'm experienced with electronics but not necessarily with this motorcycle ignition. Being an 81 I assume that my ignition is electronic, meaning there are no points. There are no wires leading out of the side covers and although I have not taken the covers off I suspect there is nothing there. I want to make my own wiring harness and run only a headlight and tailight. I plan to retain my full size battery and also keep the electric start in all its glory. With that said, here is where my confusion begins. I have read about many different ignition systems on this forum. Can I or would it be wise to retain all the stock ignition components and rewire them using the minimalistic approach (ie, eliminate all the relays and switches, etc) also would I need to keep any of the relays, such as the ones that shut down the starter circuit after so many volts are produced by the alternator? I would ultimately like to put all the electronic components in a faux oil tank like many of you guys have done but I don't know what exactly I can eliminate with this bike having an electronic ignition. Do I need to buy all new ignition components to have a small enough package to put it all in the oil can? I have looked at the boyer system but do not understand it... The pictures showed putting some sort of system in the points cover? I hope you guys can help me understand what I need to do here.

Dustin

- you can strip much of the relays etc out and minimalise the wiring...the pamco unit is a good basic ign although it, like the boyer, transfers the ignition from a crank based to a cam based reference-means more margin of error from cam chain stretch, 2-1 gearing, atu...the original alternator requires a battery to excite it, however replacing it with a permanant magnet one allows you to dispense with this, further simplifying the system

- this is a good basic wiring diagram that allows you to see the similarities and differences between points and electronic ign, separate and combi rec-reg, etc

xs650allyears.jpg

xs650_electrical_3.gif

Inxs - thanks for your reply. So, the pamco and boyer ignitions are both "electronic" in a sense, but instead of using a crank position sensor to determine firing timing, it uses cam position? Are there any additional pieces to it or do the wires leading from the points cover go directly to the coil? Would I need to buy any new parts to accomplish this setup, aside from the pamco or boyer?

I use my stock 81 ignition and so far so good, trouble free 1 kick starts.
I also rewired my bike w/o the starter goodies, pay attention, pick the right schematic and have fun, its way easy and all the info you need is right here!

I think the Boyer comes as a kit complete with the rod thats goes through the cam.
The Pamco comes in several kits. The basic is just the Pamco to replace the points.
As you step up the price scale the sets add more parts and hotter coils.
On an 81 you will need a kit that includes the advancer and rod with the seals and bushings. I think you can get this setup with three different coils.
If you look at inxs's diagrams you will see the ignition wires in after the kill switch. The Pamco will wire in the same way.

I have an 1981 xs650. Just got the Boyer bransden ignition kit and TCbros pma kit ran with a capacitor. Pma went in easily but have no clue where to start on the Boyer ignition. Any links or advice id appreciate it

Back