81 pma set up.

Blaze15301

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to the forum sort of. I've been lurking for awhile. I've read alot of posts and did alot of research.
I keep getting conflicting information tho on pma set ups. I've emailed hhb with no response.

I have a 81 xs650 stock
My charging system is bad. I want to switch to a pma.
Witch kit is the best? Hhb cdi,tc bros pma with boyer ignition, vape cdi and pma kit (if I can figure out how to order from their site)?
20210803_221255.jpg

All I plan on running is head light, turn signals, plate light they all will be leds, eventually.

Thanks for the help guys.

I have an '83 since new. I had my shorted rotor rewound about 20 years ago. I have replaced brushes. That's it. Fix it!

Search the forum for VAPE. For PMA, I think that could be what you want if you're set on it.

+3 On fixing the stock system, it is by far the cheapest option. Those system lasted for 40+ years and if properly repaired there's no reason it wont last another 40. But if you have your heart set on a PMA Hugh's Handbuilt PMA/Ignition combo is really good as is the Vape system.

Hey guys I'm new to the forum sort of. I've been lurking for awhile. I've read alot of posts and did alot of research.
I keep getting conflicting information tho on pma set ups. I've emailed hhb with no response.

I have a 81 xs650 stock
My charging system is bad. I want to switch to a pma.
Witch kit is the best? Hhb cdi,tc bros pma with boyer ignition, vape cdi and pma kit (if I can figure out how to order from their site)?View attachment 196623
All I plan on running is head light, turn signals, plate light they all will be leds, eventually.

Thanks for the help guys.
Be a bit careful about reducing load (LEDs) on a PMA alternator, A PMA puts out full power, all the time, work best if output matches load plus a bit of extra to charge the battery, and cover for low RPM operation. Excess output is shunted to ground by the voltage regulator if not used up by other accessories (like light bulbs). With low load, that shunting generates lots of heat inside the regulator, cheaply made regulators HATE that.............
Field coil alternators, like the stock XS650's, regulate the exciting field, only producing as much power as the system needs, you know, just like all modern cars and trucks....
Neither type is wrong, just understand how they operate.
PMA's are cheaper to make and have less parts, fine for a system with a constant load. Field excited, are more expensive to make, have more parts, and work well with systems experiencing varying loads.
These days small bikes tend towards PMAs, large bikes with lot of accessories, tend towards excited field.
OK lecture mode off, ;)

Last edited:
Yes, our bikes use an automotive type 3 phase alternator, and it's very good. And being an automotive style, that means we can use automotive regulators. They are both very robust and cheap. Even if you replaced your regulator and rectifier, and needed to have your rotor rewound, you should still be able to fix the original system for less than $200.

Back