81 SH misfiring, need help!

In the "search" box in the upper right corner.......................type in "radio shack rare earth magnet" and you will get a bunch of threads that will explain what may be the problem.

In the "search" box in the upper right corner.......................type in "radio shack rare earth magnet" and you will get a bunch of threads that will explain what may be the problem.
Well, its been just over a year now and I finally got around to replacing the magnet. The old magnet popped right off with a light tap of a chisel. The old epoxy was very brittle and just crumbled. After attaching the new magnet, the bike started right up. It didn't seem to be just right so I checked the timing with a timing light and found the timing was advanced about 50%. Apparently the new magnet is strong enough to cause the TCI to fire early. I removed the top screw from the sensor and restarted the motor, then rotated the sensor to get the timing back where it belonged. I was able to drill and tap a new mounting hole for the top sensor screw, and now it runs normal. Have you heard from anyone else that the rare earth magnets are so strong as to cause the timing to be advanced??

Back