81 XS not charging after new regulator and rectifier?!?HELP

chicity6fifty

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Good Evening Gents,
So last year I finally finished my xs650 and got it running fine or so i thought as i took it out for the first run of its life everything was going fine and a couple miles down the road i notice the headlight starts dimming and the bike starts wanting to turn of and sure enough it was not charging. So the guy who was helping with bike build narrowed the issue down the regulator and rectifier and i ordered one from TC BROS FOR $99.00 and it ran great all Summer and i put the bike up for the winter.

So just recently i bring the bike out again and go turn the bike on (KICK START ONLY) and it wont turn on so i keep kicking and kicking and drink a beer and kick some more and nothing so i pull the plugs out and kick again and no spark:banghead::banghead:, so all signs point back to regulator and rectifier once again so since $99.00 was to pricey at the time i ordered this one from ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/REGULATOR-R...ash=item43b4f5f2f6:g:BEwAAOSwoQ1TmynR&vxp=mtr and it cost me $ 35.00 and so i get it in and plug that bad boy in and get spark!!:thumbsup::thumbsup: but now it wont charge. SO MY QUESTION IS buying this cheap REG/REC from ebay the issue or what else can it be. I am lost!!! please help i need to ride ASAP!!! I did charge the battery, checked all connections. someone please help as for i am not to good with electrical wiring nor testing.

THANK YOU

81 XS not charging after new regulator and rectifier?

Reading it is kick only i suspect it is not an 81 XS650. Maybe an 81 motor, but the bike maybe modified to hell with a bunch of aftermarket parts.

Me thinks more information is needed, or this thread is going to be......... every answer is going to be off the mark because you haven't really provided a lot of information, and then you will give a little bit more info and the answers will go in another direction..........

the stock reg/rec used on the 80 up XS650's seldom goes bad. The brushes on the stator are much more often the issue. Next in line is wiring, poor connections. After that is the rotor, Need to check ohms between slip rings and from slip rings to ground.
The stator seldom gives trouble but while your checking the rotor do the same checks on the stator.
Your repair manual covers these checks.
There is a Charging system thread on here, it can be located in the TECH section, look under the main heading of Electrical.
Leo

Back