81 XS650 garage build hardtailed old school

francocali

XS650 Member
Reaction score
2009 I picked up a 2000 Yamaha V-Star 650 then proceeded to chop it, nothing major but love the old school look so chop chop chop,

I noticed the xs650 Yamaha was was real popular and seemed to have a cult following and i could see why ...just a real sweet bike and Kick start ,,, thats old school...

I would look for xs650's on craigs list but guys asking top dollar for some hacked up bikes so continued to search every day...after about 2 months i found a 1981 xs650 in good shape for $950 so i called the guy and he said he had posted it about 30 mins ago...it was like 10 pm so i asked him what time he wakes up in the morning he said 8am i said i would be there at 7am, when i got there 7am he came out and his cell phone was ringing off the hook with people asking about the 1981 xs650 but too bad i had cash in hand so sold ! ! ! ...sweet...

I am new to building and new to carbs timing ignition stuff so i did lots of research and found this builder "daddy G" or Rich is his real name in my home state of New jersey...Rich welded a TC brothers hard tail on for me and did a few other things like the tc brothers foward controls, but most of all Rich gave me tons of real good real world advice which saved the build, i could not have finished the build if it were not for daddy g...so shout out to you Rich !

I started the build around june 1st and it took about 2 months, i had lots of problems, first off the tci ignition box went on me so i had to install a pamco ignition, (thanks to pamco pete for advice too),
when i got the bike running it ran like Sh&t so i cleaned out the carbs and Daddy G said i should go from the 130 main jets to big ass 160 jets to i went off to the local yamaha dealer and picked up a pare of mikuni 160 jets and Bam it did the trick starts with 1 kick now...I had to do some creative fabrication but that always half the fun of any project,,, well i may be looking for another xs650 to build over the winter maybe a brat bike...hmmmm

also thanks for the good advice from the guys over at xs650 garage...

xdglcp.jpg

32zv1vd.jpg

eti3uu.jpg

1z14viu.jpg

2ldtudx.jpg

294mm11.jpg

axkqu.jpg

2wqg3yd.jpg

15xk5zc.jpg

My 2000 Yamaha Vstar Bobber
98ac7b.jpg

- welcome
- a lot of work gone into it :bike:
- maybe its just my imagination but your rear brake link seems kinda low, could be a source of intense personal grief and pain :shrug:

eti3uu.jpg

- BS34's ? ... 160 mains seem kind of xsive...how does it run standing level at wide open throttle ? how is the transfer to mid-range throttle operation ?

Runs strong, i am still trying to dial it in but the 160's doing ok , just ordered 150's from mikesxs may swap them in, my issue is just had a high output coil crap out on me
($99 Ultimate High Output Coil Part #17-6903) swapped in the old stock coil and now back to running strong , ordered the high output green monster coil will swap that in this weekend...

Runs strong, i am still trying to dial it in but the 160's doing ok , just ordered 150's from mikesxs may swap them in, my issue is just had a high output coil crap out on me
($99 Ultimate High Output Coil Part #17-6903) swapped in the old stock coil and now back to running strong , ordered the high output green monster coil will swap that in this weekend...

What exhaust setup is that your running?

Stock, just chopped them, very loud, great sound, prob will put some pep boys tips on then.

Back