81 xs650

Jacob nicholas

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi. I have an 81 xs650 I bought it off a kid who had it as a cafe racer style. I’m turning it back to stock and I have everything else done except for the seat. It’s the stock seat and I have the mounting hardware that goes on the seat. It just seems like there is something missing? The seat won’t fall into place like there’s the thing on the seat that slides around something onto the frame. But it’s not there. Idk what those parts would be called or where to find them. Without them. My seat is just sitting there

Attachments

• 82A662A5-BC0D-47E7-87BA-2BD1C070FADB.jpeg
    82A662A5-BC0D-47E7-87BA-2BD1C070FADB.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 256
Shoot us a pic of the underside of the seat and a pic of the tank/battery and shock/fender area of your bike and we'll figure this out!

Like the other said, let’s see what you got and what you need.

I have an ‘81 I’m adapting another seat onto, I’d donate what you need if I’m not using it.

Like the other said, let’s see what you got and what you need.

I have an ‘81 I’m adapting another seat onto, I’d donate what you need if I’m not using it.
Okay I will send a picture tomorrow morning of what exactly is there and what isn’t. I’m pretty sure the previous owner removed everything :(

Shoot us a pic of the underside of the seat and a pic of the tank/battery and shock/fender area of your bike and we'll figure this out!
Thank you so much I will send the pic in this thread or as a direct reply in the morning. Im pretty sure I need everything from underneath the seat if I have to I’ve been welding a couple years I’ll weld the stufff back on if need be. Because it looks like some of the stuff was cut off. Im hoping not tho :(

Just a few photos of the mechanism on an 81 seat, may or may not be helpful??

At the front of the seat is a prong that slides into a bracket on the frame:
FrontProngs.jpg FrontBrackey1.jpg
At the back on the seat is a hook mechanism that fits into brackets either side of the frame:
BackLock.jpg BackBracket1.jpg

The right hand back bracket is above the helmet lock which also locks the lever for releasing the seat's hook mechanism:
LeverLock.jpg

Sorry about the picture quality but the garage is quite dark, but if you click on the images to expand they are clearer.

Last edited:
Just a few photos of the mechanism on an 81 seat, may or may not be helpful??

At the front of the seat is a prong that slides into a bracket on the frame:
View attachment 111273 View attachment 111282
At the back on the seat is a hook mechanism that fits into brackets either side of the frame:
View attachment 111276 View attachment 111283

The right hand back bracket is above the helmet lock which also locks the lever for releasing the seat's hook mechanism:
View attachment 111284

Sorry about the picture quality but the garage is quite dark, but if you click on the images to expand they are clearer.
This actually helps a ton as of what you showed me I am missing both the parts that go onto the frame. They must’ve been taken off when it was converted into the flat seat

Hi Jacob, nice xs . I'm just down the road from you in Hanover Pa. If you don't find what you need before the end of January there is a swapmeet on the 28th at the York Fair Grounds Lots Of XS stuff to be had there.

Back