81xs650

Status
Not open for further replies.

easydawg

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have an 81 650 just put carbs on it but when hook up battery nothing all fuses look good whan else should I look for will add pic when I get a cord for camera I don't even get lights on showing power or anything it cranks if I jump the starter that s it

Last edited:
Read through these threads for trouble shooting and diagnostic.

refer to Post #28

Last edited:
bought it about 2 weeks ago at yard sale with another one for 60 dollars for both has title good compression don't know about spark I have had it crank by jumping it ive worked on cars very little on bikes

I have an 81 650 just put carbs on it but when hook up battery nothing all fuses look good whan else should I look for will add pic when I get a cord for camera I don't even get lights on showing power or anything it cranks if I jump the starter that s it

If you only did a visual check of the fuses, that tells you nothing. I assume your bike still has the the stock fuse panel with 4 glass fuses. Those fuse holders are infamous for loosing tension, and oxidizing, which causes high resistance and voltage drops. I recommend anyone that still has them, to replace with automotive blade fuses.

This is where you use a VOM or DMM to test for voltage. Start at the battery, them look for voltage at the main 20 amp fuse, then look for voltage at the ignition switch, then check for voltage at each of the three 10 amp fuses that supply the loads on the bike. Learn to read the electrical diagram for your bike, its a road map you have to follow.

I replaced them and still have no power to it someone had taken out fuse box just had the fuses hanging loose I would hate to have to rewire the bike

I replaced them and still have no power to it someone had taken out fuse box just had the fuses hanging loose I would hate to have to rewire the bike

650 skull and myself have given you all the information you need. You bought an old bike that has been abused and neglected for many years. That means you are going to have to do a lot of reading and studying of wiring diagrams in order to sort out the mess. Well, you may hate to have to rewire the bike, but that may just be what is required. If you don't like to spend time repairing messed up wiring, you could buy a new wiring harness.

Hi 'dawg,
whaddya mean, "hanging loose"?
The stock glass tube fuses live in a little flat black plastic box atop the bike's battery and you'd have to chop the box up into strips to allow the individual fuses to hang loose.
If you meant to say that the dreaded PO has replaced the stock glass tube fuse panel with individual fuses it's highly likely that the replacements ain't been wired up correctly.

I think you need a new keyboard for your computer first. It appears the shift key and all the punctuation keys are broken, lol.
Hi 5twins,
just perhaps the 'dawg's keyboard works fine but he's been reading e e cummings poetry?
e e cummings was properly E. E. Cummings but he didn't believe that capital letters and punctuation should be used in written communication.
Mind you a true pedant WOULD HAVE WRITTEN IN CAPS because caps came first.
Lower case lettering was developed to make hand writing easier and quicker.
Using it in printed documents only complicates the keyboard.

Would be nice to see pics of the fuses...Sounds like the wiring has been "played with". Regardless:
1) Do you have a voltmeter?
2) Have you tested that there is power from battery to the main fuse? What's the reading?
3) Have you tested that there is power leaving the main fuse (Other side of the fuse wire?)
4) Have you tested that there's power going to the key/Ignition switch? turn Key on, is there power going to the other fuses? Etc...

If you don't have power at any of these points...you need to trace the wire to make sure it's connected, cleaned connection until you get power to the next point. It's labor intensive, but not difficult. Good luck!

Do what brassneck has advised.
Electrical trouble shooting is a process, you start at one end and work you way to the other. Start at the beginning, make sure battery has volts, and its hooked up correctly, check power going to fuse panel, check for power coming out of fuse panel, check for power going to key switch, check to make sure key switch is working (Ohm out the switch). Make sure all connections are good, read the schematics if you need help finding out how to system works and where the power goes to and from.

I give up selling the bike have title. and a few extra parts 400 dollars.

Last edited:
I give up selling the bike have title. and a few extra parts 400 dollars.
Hi 'dawg,
that's just too bad! There's only 16 ways to hook up 4 fuses fer Chrissake!
Random selection alone should get you somewhat ahead in an afternoon's work with a multimeter.
But WTF, it's a bargain for someone.
I'd buy it myself but what with gas & motels adding a grand or so to my cost the deal is best left to someone who lives a lot closer than Saskatoon.

$60 for two bikes at a garage sale...not sure what you were expecting with regard bike maintenance and trouble shooting... but a little effort goes a long way and I suppose someone will take it off you hands fairly quickly.

For me, There's nothing like figuring out a starting problem and getting a bike to turn over that first time...but to each their own.

keyboard fine if you cant read what I write don't look at it...

Come on.............You asked a question on a public forum .................. the post is hard to read because of the lack of grammar. Obviously not suited to an older bike.

Yes this lad lacks grammar, lacks the ability to be courteous and lacks motorcycle knowledge. Matters not, as he won't be hanging around this site very long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back