For Sale - '82 XS650 chopper/bobber $2200 obo

FB71

Expert Turd Polisher
Reaction score
I've decided to sell my chopper/bobber. I just don't ride it, and can't stand to see it sit. I'd rather sell it to someone who'll ride it. The price is flexible, so don't be afraid to make an offer.

Hardtail done by me, no kit. Stock charging system, but works very well. Around 13v at idle. '81 engine, converted back to points (I was going for simple/old skool). Stock carbs worked according to all the recommendations here. 6" baffles in exhaust, surprisingly quiet. Starts runs and rides great! No signals or gauges. It's a completely amateur build, as I'm not a professional bike tech, but I am a 25 year automotive and truck tech. So, the bike is safe, solid and reliable, but not a show bike. Ask any questions, and come see it in person. I won't hide anything (I hate nasty surprises), and welcome any constructive criticism.

Bike is in Edgewood, MD, about 20 miles north east of Baltimore city, less than a mile from I95.
Here's a link to the Craigslist posting; http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/6249004721.html
See the posting for pics.

Jim

Jim,

Does this have the e-starter still? DO you know the motor condition (i.e. rebuilt? miles? etc). I am interested in it, looks clean. thanks.

Yes, still has electric start. Motor is in very good condition. It's a low mileage (11k) used engine, over 150 psi compression on both cylinders, less than 15% leakdown on both cylinders. I did have the covers off, and its immaculately clean inside. The chain guides look good, and there was no plastic in the sump. I borescoped both cylinders, and the cylinder walls looked good, and piston crowns were only lightly carboned, with no detectable erosion. Same result for the valves. The clutch is new, and I did reseal what I could, without removing the jugs. It does have one slow oil leak from between the head and cylinders on the left side, that shows when running. It might seep 15-20 drops over a 1 hour run time. I did just retorque the head, but have not ridden it again since. I had intended to rebuild whatever engine I acquired for the bike, but this one simply didn't need it.

Ignition has been converted back to points, and changed to a single points / waste spark coil. I wanted to keep it a simple and old skool as possible. Clutch plates have been replaced, but the ones I took out still looked new. All shaft and clutch pushrod seals replaced, and changed to a one-piece pushrod. Also replaced the clutch actuator screw.

I have one other person interested that contacted me a few days ago, but they aren't available to see the bike until Monday. I would like to give them first right of refusal. I will let you know if its still available then.

Hi, I am still interested. Looks like you are about an hour from me. Would you mind sending me some close up pictures if you have time? You can text me at 229-740-9133, thank you.

Back