82 xs650 L side blinker issue

SSMotorsports

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Purchased a 82 xs650 with 10k on it it’s been cafe out has bars and I installed a led headlight and turn signals but I have an issue with the left side signals even tho they are hooked up exactly the same. Blinks for the right side but lights in the left side are constantly illuminated unless the bike is off or the lights are unplugged (I would remove the ground). Not too sure where to go from here as I am already getting power to the signals it just won’t flash

Plenty of schematics in the tech section to reference.
I'd retrace that wire for sure.

Could b corrosion in the bulb socket, or in one of the bullet connectors in the circuit.

have you tested for voltage or done a continuity test, might b getting power, just not enough

Purchased a 82 xs650 with 10k on it it’s been cafe out has bars and I installed a led headlight and turn signals but I have an issue with the left side signals even tho they are hooked up exactly the same. Blinks for the right side but lights in the left side are constantly illuminated unless the bike is off or the lights are unplugged (I would remove the ground). Not too sure where to go from here as I am already getting power to the signals it just won’t flash

If you put in led signal lights, you will need a blinker unit appropriate for led lights as well as some possible changes to wiring.

Didn't read your first post properly. Missed the Led Change. Odd one side works.

If the right side is blinking but the left isn't, there is either a short in the left side wiring, or it has been wired up incorrectly bypassing the flasher can. If you are using the stock flasher can with LEDs, you should replace it, there are adjustable flasher cans available. That could be the problem, however, if the right side is working alright???

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 7
On the SJ and SK models, the left and right blinking voltage go to the flasher indicator in the Pilot box. One signal drives one side of the bulb the other signal drives the other side of the bulb. This arrangement won't work with LEDs. It can cause some unpredictable results. maybe not the results you are currently getting, but weird and unpredictable, never the less. One solution is to remove the indicator bulb from the pilot box. Make sure you have the correct flasher for the type of indicating lights you have. There are lots of posts on this problem. On my SK bike I modified the wiring including adding some diodes so that only one signal went to the pilot box. Make sure this is all sorted and while you are mucking about in the wiring, make sure all the connections are good.

Forsure I ended up getting them to work correctly both sides did and led headlight and signals, there was a hidden ground that wasn’t connected. But now I’m having and issue after riding the bike it’s not electrical but it’s with the kick starter after riding for a while the kickstart doesn’t work battery died because it’s old. After its warm kickstart has no pressure on it you can almost move it by hand, after cooling it works again

IMG_6796.jpeg

Here is a 79 starter gear pic, that big gear rotates counter clockwise engaging unto that seen gear behind it.
Those do wear and could be not engaging?

Check the clutch adjustment on the LH side and see if it’s over tightened. I had a similar issue with too much spacing between the plates.

Back